Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer opening day numbers

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I expected it to be down based on harvest trends. I expected weather to drop it slightly further. 39% though...nope, didnt expect it to come in that low!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
It will balance out with higher weekend numbers....lots of folks stayed home or switched vacation days.

I think we will be surprised, i'm guessing a 25-30% lower overall. I know in my area, the guys that did get out ran them all to the standing corn, which is EVERYWHERE! It has the boys around here scratching their heads!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yep 100% weather..... I mean we've NEVER had an opening day with bad weather... It's always been sunny and 60 degrees.. :smiley_depressive:

Last edited:

Schu72

Streetsboro
Yep 100% weather..... I mean we've NEVER had an opening day with bad weather... It's always been sunny and 60 degrees.. :smiley_depressive:

"He noted that the weather conditions on opening day in 2007 were so poor that the harvest was down an unprecedented 51%."

Schu72

Streetsboro
I agree the herd is smaller than estimated and the limits are TOO liberal, but come on guys. Heck, read back and see how many dedicated hunters from this site changed plans.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I agree the herd is smaller than estimated and the limits are TOO liberal, but come on guys. Heck, read back and see how many dedicated hunters from this site changed plans.

I am willing to admit weather had some to do with it.. But not 39%.. We will see at the end of the week... That's a better aggregate.

BTW.. Opening day 2007 the temp was high of 60 low of 42 with 1.15 inches of rain and 3 mph winds...
Yesterday was High of 58 Low of 50 .21 inches of rain and 6mph winds.

So it rained almost 6x more in 2007 yet we managed to kill 19,391. VS 23,600 this year..

I'll rephrase. 6x less rain yet only managed 4,200 more deer?

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

BTW.. Opening day 2007 the temp was high of 60 low of 42 with 1.15 inches of rain and 3 mph winds...

I can close my eyes and see that 8 point running across the field, turning left into the woods and stopping. BOOM BOOM shit..... last gun opener I hunted and yea it was soaking.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Weather is definitely a factor, but it will be used to mask something much bigger.

Tonk said in the article that growing bow hunting popularity during "good weather" has impacted gun harvest. If people are tagging out in bow season rather than gun season (impacting/driving gun harvest down) then why is the bow harvest down over the last 2 years? If more hunters are bow hunting (that's what growing popularity means last I checked) then why is bow harvest down?

I wish they would just speak the truth rather than talk themselves in a circle of missleading statements.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am willing to admit weather had some to do with it.. But not 39%.. We will see at the end of the week... That's a better aggregate.

So it rained almost 6x more in 2007 yet we managed to kill 19,391. VS 23,600 this year..

I'll rephrase. 6x less rain yet only managed 4,200 more deer?

It rained all fuggin day here in Medina County yesterday... had to be more than .21" in parts of the state. I know that more than half of my buddies didn't even hunt yesterday because they all rescheduled their vacations for the end of the week. Today I had some extra time between inspections and made some rounds through the most rural part of our county... In total of about 2.5 townships I only saw one truck of guys heading out to hunt, and this was at 3:00 o'clock. Spencer Wildlife Area had only once vehicle parked in its lots when I drove around it... and I can't even guarantee it was hunters because it was a Lincoln SUV. I would agree that the weather probably isn't 100% to blame for the decrease in harvest, but I'd say it's having a more significant effect than the amount of deer.