Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fletching arrows 101

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Anyone have a crash course in fletching they would like to share? I just took advantage of the 3 day special OMO referred us to in the deals/steals section. I am now the owner of a fletching jig (thanks to Milo's suggestion on which model would work well for me). I bought some Blazers and glue, adhesive and cleaner, and a nifty little broadhead tool for $2.49. Seemed like it would save some sliced fingers when I clicked on it. Wonder if I will be able to find it when I need it? lol

Just looking for a basic rundown of the process I need to go through when fletching. Not worried about any offsets or fancy stuff. Just a basic breakdown such as how far from the nock, how much glue, preparation, etc.

Thanks in advance!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Getting ready to head to church. I will give you a shout later. Might even drive out your way. I have some arrows to pick up I paid someone else to fletch. hahahahha

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The one Milo recommended. LoL. I think it was the Blazer Pro or something like that. Around $35 prior to discount.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not sure how I missed this last year. I have a Bitz and use a straight fletched Blazer on my Flatlines. I've fooled with helical and I have used the Arizona E-Z Fletch that Milo uses. I like the Bitz the best because it is what I do my best work with. Like all things in archery, fletching arrows is about feel.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
As for the process, I wipe all my shafts with those disposal alcohol wipes to prep them. If I am doing wraps, I let the shafts dry and put in the wrap. Then I'll very lightly wipe the wrap, but be careful because it can smear some inks. I dab each vane with the alcohol pad as well. Then it's time to install to nock and run some glue. I use the Loctite Easy Control Gel and run a fine line down the spine of the fletching. Drop the tail end of the clamp in to the jig, and gently roll forward. Let them sit for 30 seconds, then check for excess. I keep q-tips soaked in acetone handy to get what I can wipe off with my finger.

I let my arrows sit over night if possible, but have shot 10 minutes later before with no issues.

Building arrows is a lot of fun!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My process is similar to Jesse's except that I use Acetone instead of Alcohol to prep the shafts. I also use the Loctite Gel... I haven't used every kind of fletching adhesive available, but I have absolutely no reason to switch right now. The Loctite glue is phenomenal... it's easily controlled, bonds and dries quickly, and best of all you can buy it virtually anywhere that sells super glue. Oh, and it's relatively cheap, too.

I own two jigs... a Bitzenburger with straight and right-helical clamps, and an Arizona EZ Fletch Mini. I can do great work with the Bitz, and I honestly used to think it was "the only way to roll." But since purchasing the EZ Fletch towards the end of last summer, I've since changed my tune. IMO, when it comes to fletching 2" or smaller vanes with a helical, it doesn't get any better or simpler than using the Arizona EZ Fletch. When Milo first told me how impressed he was with it, I was pretty skeptical. All you have to do is use it once and it'll blow your mind.

Don't get me wrong, the Bitz still has its place. As far as adjustability and versatility, the Bitzenburger jig is tough to beat. But I don't care how adjustable it is, it still doesn't put a wicked helical in Blazer vanes like the EZ Fletch can.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
When purchasing vanes, are they all straight? Is the clamp the tool that puts the helical on the vanes? Or if you want a helical attachment do you need to purchase "helical vanes"?

Similar to Mr Brown here..I use Acetone but mostly just to get rid of wrap residue an such....Maybe some comet an water if its a brand new shaft..I wrap and fletch them with the Bohnoning Helix jig..I have 2 helical clamps for it and 2 straight clamps for it..I have spares because 2in feathers dont fit to well in the clamps without modification,So I have one of each for feathers an one of each for vanes....The straight clamps came with micro diam arrow holder which worked great when fletching some VAP shafts for a customer.I use the same glue as well(Loctite gel,black bottle blue sides an lid)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
When purchasing vanes, are they all straight? Is the clamp the tool that puts the helical on the vanes? Or if you want a helical attachment do you need to purchase "helical vanes"?

Plastic vanes are straight... The clamp is what puts the helical or curve into them when fletching. Feathers, on the other hand, come in either left-wing or right-wing... You can use a straight clamp with either leftwing or rightwing feathers, but if using a helical clamp you must match them up... i.e. rightwing feather needs right helical clamp.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Plastic vanes are straight... The clamp is what puts the helical or curve into them when fletching. Feathers, on the other hand, come in either left-wing or right-wing... You can use a straight clamp with either leftwing or rightwing feathers, but if using a helical clamp you must match them up... i.e. rightwing feather needs right helical clamp.

Thanks, I know it was an elementary question but I had to ask...not wanting to hijack Phil's thread here, just wondered what style of vane attachment everyone preferred that shoots a fixed 3 blade broadhead. Do most of you go fletch up a helical?

Thanks, I know it was an elementary question but I had to ask...not wanting to hijack Phil's thread here, just wondered what style of vane attachment everyone preferred that shoots a fixed 3 blade broadhead. Do most of you go fletch up a helical?

I do with any fixed blade broadhead and small vane combo..I have seen increased accuracy inside 40 or 50yrds..For long range I use a straight fletch,but broadheads are not involved then..In my limited experience the less surface area a fletch/feather has(height an length) the more offset or helical is needed to get the same amount of stabilization as a fletch/feather with more surface area and less offset or helical......I hope that didnt confuse matters

Last edited: