Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Flagging

matt hougan

Dayton area
Here is an article I wrote for another web site, concerning my approach to flagging. Again this is my opinion, not gospel.

The first time we saw the geese in the distance, they were a little more than a mile away. I know this because they had just crossed on the other side of a water tower that is one mile from the corn field we were hunting that day. The calling was not helping us at all as the geese continued on their course. Only when we stood up and began flagging with everything we had did the geese finally wing in our direction. All the planets must have lined up for us as we ended up cutting into that flock pretty hard. After the guns went silent and the dog went to work we stood there dumb founded that we actually got those birds to change course from such a long distance. What was the difference? The all mighty flag was the difference.
Flagging is still one of goose hunting’s most effective tools for turning geese from long distances, finishing birds, or getting them to return, and yet it is one of the least instructed topics you’ll hear professionals talk about. I have spoken to several folks about how they flag geese and why. Some flag geese like they are trying to land an airplane. Some flag geese all the way to the ground, some even run around the decoys with 12’ flagging poles for those long distance birds. Ultimately what ever works for you is the way to go. Here are some of the things we have learned along the road.
I can’t begin to remember all the times I have sat and observed geese feeding in corn fields. I have studied their behavior for countless hours while scouting, hoping to get an education as to how I can sell my set up more effectively. One day I had a revelation. I began to notice that geese would randomly stand up and flap their wings, to stretch I presume. I began to notice there was a rhythm to their flapping. I sat counting the number of beats they would flap. I never counted more than six wing beats. I immediately employed this new information to my hunting and had immediate success. When I raise my flag it is never for more than six wing beats and the first few beats stronger than the last few. As with calling or setting decoys my main objective is to recreate a flock of feeding geese. I need to look, sound, and act like they do. Not only is the rhythm important but also the action itself.
I remember my first flag. I cut a piece of conduit and hot glued a huge piece of black fabric to it. I think the thing was 3’x5’. I can only imagine what passing vehicles must have thought of us standing in the field waving that huge black flag. I had completley misinterpretted the term "Flagging". I can only imagine what the geese must have thought of us since it never seemed to help. If you have ever heard Jeff Foiles in a seminar he says this about flag wavers. “Hey geese, come over here, I’m a human and I want to shoot you.” Geese stand up and flap front to back not side to side, and so should you with deep powerful beats from your flag. Once I had what I felt was the right rhythm and cadence of wing beats I began to experiment with it in other situations.
I found flagging useful in keeping birds from landing short and bringing them back if they flared. Sometimes no mater how well you have set out your decoys you get a bunch of geese that are just afraid of their own shadows and will always try to land short wanting to avoid a fight when they land. I have found that a few wing beats at the right time along with some calming murmurs from your goose call often times brings the birds in a few more yards for more ethical shots. Normally I subscribe to clucking at in-coming geese; however when geese look like they want to land short I stop clucking and go into murmurs. Murmurs seem to be less threatening than sharp clucks and may convince the geese that landing is relatively safe. Doing a little flagging at the same time helps focus the geese on a landing spot as close to you as possible. Remember, if you had been flagging the whole time, more flagging will not keep them from landing short. I have also found that in the case of flaring geese, appropriate flagging can bring back a few birds from the end of the flock if not the whole flock. The guys I hunt with all know if they are flagging they are to keep an eye out for birds that look back at our spread when a group tries to leave. The callers will go into a big come back sequence and inevitably a few birds will look back. When they do, they need to see a flag. The number of times this has worked for us is staggering.
Remember this only works if you use the flag sparingly. If you over use the flag they suffer from sensory deprivation and more flagging in my opinion is virtually useless. Whether the topic is calling, decoys, or flagging I am always a fan of doing just enough to get the job done. You can always call more, set out more decoys, or do some more flagging. You cannot however, go back. If you over call, overwhelm your birds with too many decoys, or flag too much there is little you can do to bring them back. Flagging is a very effective tool in completing the illusion and it will mean more tailgate photos of broad smiles and bending game straps.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's nice to finally read something about flagging, Matt. Thank you for sharing that. I'm looking forward to applying these same principles of flagging the next time I'm in a field.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Longdraw and Curran took me on my first waterfowl hunt and flagging is what got the birds interested.

It was a cool experience and I could see me doing it a lot.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good read Matt. Thanks for posting that up!

I think we could've employed some close distance flagging yesterday. Here's an example of what we experienced. Let me know your thoughts.

For what ever the reason (warmer weather, Buckeyes game tailgate, etc?), the geese yesterday were not wanting to feed in the field we hunted. A large percentage of birds that we saw came off of a roost pond across the road and to our west. They flew out, fed somewhere else, then returned to that pond after a short period. Other small groups flew through the area from elsewhere, but the large group of geese on the pond was more attractive for most of the birds than our corn field spread. I'm sure that the competition of real birds loafing next door on the pond didn't help our situation.

Flagging definitely turned & attracted a few groups our way. Even broke a few groups off of larger flocks to head toward our field for a look. However we didn't fully finish any of those groups that we broke off. There were a few times we should've called the shot, but we were trying to have them wings cupped, feet down, & in our faces before shooting. The birds stayed high & just at the edge of shooting range. Regardless of that, when it came to flagging, we dropped the flags (2) when the birds were turned our way and within 150 yards, and stayed on the calls to keep their interest.

My question is, when you're flagging birds at close range, say under 100 yards, what is your technique? Are you still flagging with the same rhythm & the flag held high, or is the flag low and on the ground with only subtle flaps to show some movement?

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Good read Matt. Thanks for posting that up!

I think we could've employed some close distance flagging yesterday. Here's an example of what we experienced. Let me know your thoughts.

For what ever the reason (warmer weather, Buckeyes game tailgate, etc?), the geese yesterday were not wanting to feed in the field we hunted. A large percentage of birds that we saw came off of a roost pond across the road and to our west. They flew out, fed somewhere else, then returned to that pond after a short period. Other small groups flew through the area from elsewhere, but the large group of geese on the pond was more attractive for most of the birds than our corn field spread. I'm sure that the competition of real birds loafing next door on the pond didn't help our situation.

Flagging definitely turned & attracted a few groups our way. Even broke a few groups off of larger flocks to head toward our field for a look. However we didn't fully finish any of those groups that we broke off. There were a few times we should've called the shot, but we were trying to have them wings cupped, feet down, & in our faces before shooting. The birds stayed high & just at the edge of shooting range. Regardless of that, when it came to flagging, we dropped the flags (2) when the birds were turned our way and within 150 yards, and stayed on the calls to keep their interest.

My question is, when you're flagging birds at close range, say under 100 yards, what is your technique? Are you still flagging with the same rhythm & the flag held high, or is the flag low and on the ground with only subtle flaps to show some movement?

You got it!

matt hougan

Dayton area
Sean, there are too many unmentioned variables to give you a solid answer. It coud be that no matter what you would or could have done, they were going to go where they were going to go. I have killed a few birds in corn fields when they were on thier way back to the loafing pond but very few. Normally once they have their fill they are looking to get back to water to wash it all down. For those birds looking for a drink and a rest there is little you can do. What I normally get is jut like you describe, they swing by take a high wide look and resume thier flight back to the loaf....

Having said that, perhaps widening the landing or killing zone of your decoy spread. Perhaps a little flip of the flag might help. who knows

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
who knows

rotflmao That's what I kept saying yesterday after each time we couldn't get them to commit... "Who knows"

We swung the landing zone open, changed this then that, and moved things here and there, but the birds just watned to hit the water I think.