Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ar 15

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
AR 15
I recall some of you have AR 15 style guns.
What type of loads are you using for range and varmint?
Also sights/optics?

Just looking for some bench marks to start.

I used to hunt with a rock river arms varmiter 20 inch barrel but traded it for a remington 700 police ltr mil-spec a few weeks ago. I used a burris fullfield 2 3x9x40 on the ar. i got best results out of serria game king 63 gr bullets and 70 gr vmax

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Don't know about TL's experience but mine has been excellent with RRA.

For me it depends on which gun for which ammo. 1-9 twist I go with a typical 55 grain range and 40 grain varmint express by Hornady. 1-7 twist I use 62 grainers... mostly Hornady for varmints again then Lake City M855 for range.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have a RRA Predator Pursuit and I love it.. The fit and finish of the gun is above Colt, Bushy etc in the same price range. Mine has a 20 inch Wilson Match grade SS barrel with a Wylde chamber. I have a Nikon Buckmaster 4.4x14x40 (i think) on extra high steel mounts. She holds half inch groups at 100 with cheap Remington 55gr Sp bullets. With the 1/8 twist she likes rounds in the 60+ range. The 55gr Hornady Spire points that are 55gr don't group so well. I think it;s pushing too light a round way to fast because the 55gr Rems aren't bad. But where she really shines is 60 gr Hornady Tap rounds. Shell touch them at 100 yards if I do my part.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
OK. Heres the deal. I went to a local gun show today with no intention of doing anything but unloading a couple of Mossberg's I never cared for. Ended up doing that but got a great deal on a RRA A4 National Match unfired w/ the big blue plastic box...
I don't know what happened. I wanted to just look for an old Stevens 410 afterwards.
I'm not sure where to go with it from here.
I know 1911's and AK's so I'll figure it out... The" operator's manual from the headquarters, dep. of army" is kinda crude so I would like better info on striping to start.
Next, stuff like loads; ( I'm not hand loading yet but have started getting together the equipment for hand guns)
I think it has a 1/8 twist.

Also what type if issues come with the gun. For example I can drive a truck through the gas return of my AK. This one seems quite small...
I know its a good gun. I see guys at matches puting em down range 600 yards or what ever the hell that is in meters...

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Field stripping the weapon is fairly easy. And once you've done it you could do it again from memory.. The army FM should cover it in great detail. It looks crude but trust me, it has everything you'll ever need to know about the weapon as if your life depended on it. :)

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Jim,

That is a one in eight twist bud. Good happy medium. Great gun. Are you going to keep the NM sights or remove the handle and add a scope? Great purchase.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jim,

That is a one in eight twist bud. Good happy medium. Great gun. Are you going to keep the NM sights or remove the handle and add a scope? Great purchase.

Good question. I have debated buying a carry handle for mine.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Field stripping the weapon is fairly easy. And once you've done it you could do it again from memory.. The army FM should cover it in great detail. It looks crude but trust me, it has everything you'll ever need to know about the weapon as if your life depended on it. :)

OK. I'll try it.
What about any special care and feeding ?
Do you and Been use some high tec. lube/oil or good old hoppies. I do have some high-tec gun oil that some gun salesman gave me to try after making fun of me for using Nyoil and hoppies saying "thats your grandfathers oil man! You need to try this for modern automatics"

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Jim,

No clue. Its killing me but I wanted to keep the woods quiet since all the other yahoos are sighting in this weekend. I want to shoot it. lol
I will probably use it on varmints but always wanted to go to that civilian shoot...

What did you guys do?

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
OK. I'll try it.
What about any special care and feeding ?
Do you and Been use some high tec. lub/oil or good old hoppies. I do have some high-tec gun oil that some gun salesman gave me to try after making fun of me for using Nyoil and hoppies saying "thats your grandfathers oil man"

Bostitch PREMOIL Pneumatic tool oil... You laugh.. But it's designed for high cyclic rate high temp pneumatic tools. I don't use anything with silicone, or teflon.

"Specially formulated for pneumatic tools at - atmosphere or high working temperatures ~ Blended using premium grade turbine oil ~ Formulated for high speed/temperature conditions ~ Contains rust & oxidation inhibitors to prevent- ~ degradation of tool components ~ Has anti-wear additives specially formulated- ~ for cylinder type applications"

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No clue. Its killing me but I wanted to keep the woods quiet since all the other yahoos are sighting in this weekend. I want to shoot it. lol
I will probably use it on varmints but always wanted to go to that civilian shoot...

What did you guys do?

Varmints like groundhogs, coyotes, and crows... The crows we're shot in VC. We drug a deer ribcage and scraps about 200 yards back up the clearing in the holler.. Sat on the back swing drinking beer and picking off crows that landed. lol

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Might scope it. It seems nose heavy when I use the handle.

Just went over and fondled it AGAIN. Def. way to nose heavy w/ that SS barrel.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Might scope it. It seems nose heavy when I use the handle.

Just went over and fondled it AGAIN. Def. way to nose heavy w/ that SS barrel.

Tah Dah :)

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=10996/Product/AR-15-BUTTSTOCK-WEIGHT

Trim it from the front to balance as needed.. Some guys pour lead shot in it and stuff cotton in to keep it from ratteling.. Balance it at the delta ring. (Ring at the rear of the handguard) That's you're pivot point. Many guys (and myself) use a mag purchase as the forward hold point. Below is a grip that shows where the grab is.... This allows you to keep the rifle low, but bring it up very easy in a teeter totter motion.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
OK. I see.

But are you carrying around about a 12+lb gun?

LMAO Yeah.. Mines 8.1 lbs naked.. By the time you add the scope, rings, mag, and counter weight it's prolly close to that or over. . But they're match guns. Not entry tactical at 7.5 lbs.. You shouldn't have to add that much weight to balance it. But yours a pound heavier already at 9.1 due to the carry handle and sights. All you should need is a pound in the stock.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Ya... getting it now.
Please excuse my ignorance. Its my first decent match type gun of any sort.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
CJD- I WISH I had the option to remove my carry handle. You will have limited options for a scope with a carry handle mounted. What I have found is the scope is mounted so high it is awkward feeling when looking through the scope. Then again, when I was trained on the M-16 I was trained to put the tip of my nose on the charging handle. Now it just feels funny to cheek the stock with my chin (darn near) to look through the scope.

Sorry I haven't added anything on the ammo choices. I haven't gone to the arms room to check and I forget what I was using off memory.

Congratulations on your purchase!

Any issues w/ the RR or did you move on?

I never had any problems with my rra it was a great rifle. The reason i sold it was i wanted to something a little more paper accurite and a little lighter. Im talking a .25 to .75 moa of difference btw. My rra would do 1.25 to .75 moa at 100 yards depending on the round, wind, ect. If i had gotten the match barrel it would have been able to do what joes rra is capable of. My remington 700p weights 7.5 bare and 9.5lbs with bipod, scope, and loaded. The rra varmite a4 weighted 8.5lbs bare and 12.2 lbs with scope, bipod, and loaded. The heavy ar wasnt a big deal in OH but in WA i usually have to hike a couple miles to get to a spot. The next ar i get will be a rra entry tactical which will be for plinking and defense. All and all i guess i just wanted a new toy plus ive always had a thing for bolt guns...
The rifle your looking at will work great for you cjd3. The field stripping manual from the military will get you were you need to be plus there are a couple thousand youtube videos on field stripping the ar15 and its battery of arms.

Last edited: