Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Getting really excited

matt hougan

Dayton area
Making my annual pilgrimage to Arkansas for three days of hunting flooded timber. I am absolutley ready to wet myself excited about stepping foot in the oaks again. We leave December 8th and personally I dont know if I can handle the suspense. My bags will be packed this weekend.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep.... I'm jealous. My life will not be complete until I hunt the flooded timber and rice fields in Arkansas. Can't wait to see the pics when you get back, man.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
LMAO - don't pee yerself Matt, that might get uncomfortable on stand...just take a deep breath and shoot a bunch of birds
And take lots of pictures!

matt hougan

Dayton area
We should put together a road trip TOO Arkansas next season.

I bought my licenses today, I am pretty near ready yo go.

I have a full boat for now, but if you guys want to put a party together there is plenty of water to hunt. We leave the 8th, hunting 12/9, 12/10, 12/11 returning home late on the 11th. Less than $700 door to door.

Last edited:

matt hougan

Dayton area
I just checked the full moon cycle and I can't believe the next full moon is December 10th, the day after we arrive. I think my head is about to come off. Hunting the woods on a full moon is the schizzel. Now all we need is some high pressure bright skies and we are in for a duck hunt for the ages.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just checked the full moon cycle and I can't believe the next full moon is December 10th, the day after we arrive. I think my head is about to come off. Hunting the woods on a full moon is the schizzel. Now all we need is some high pressure bright skies and we are in for a duck hunt for the ages.

I hope the weather cooperates up here in Northern Ohio as well. I just got invited to hunt with a buddy at Pipe Creek on the 10th. I've had some great hunts at the Pipe in years past so I'm excited for this one.

matt hougan

Dayton area
Well after three days the body count stands at two drake wood ducks. We hunted the timber in two different WMA's and I saw the fewest number of ducks I have seen in 10 years hunting in Arkansas. Great guys and lots of laughs but no ducks. I did learn quite a bit and I'm grateful for that. I'll look forward to goin again next year.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang, Matt... sorry to hear that. What was the issue? You think it's because of a later-than-normal migration or something? Seems like the weather hasn't really been that cold up here until recently. I was thinking this full moon should get some new birds moving.

matt hougan

Dayton area
Dang, Matt... sorry to hear that. What was the issue? You think it's because of a later-than-normal migration or something? Seems like the weather hasn't really been that cold up here until recently. I was thinking this full moon should get some new birds moving.

Simply too much water spreading what birds were around.