Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Season

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
In 35 years of chasing whitetails, this is the first time this has ever happened for me. I had been watching about 12 different bucks before season started. I run 6-8 cameras here in the neighborhood on a regular basis. 4 of these were Great Bucks and had me pumped for opening day. All 4 of them was frequenting a certain stand and were gorging themselves on the apple pile about every evening. The first evening, I went to stand thinking I was gonna take the first good one that walked in. I got into the stand right at 5pm. After enjoying the thought of opening day for about an hour, I thought I just might kick-back for a lil cat-nap (I always strap myself in and this stand is a great leaned back tree for a lil nap). Looking behind me before getting comfy, I thought I saw antlers about 125 yards behind me. About 20 seconds later out he came...#3 on the hit list I think and he was on a mission.....I stood up when he looked back to see what the lil 6 pt was doing behid him and got the Tenpoint ready for business. I just knew he was gonna wind me as he cane in from behind, but wind current and the new carbon suit must have been in my favor for once! At about 12 ft beside my tree, I put a Carbon Express and 2" Rage straight down through right behind the shoulder. I was shaking so bad all I could think of was "Are you shittin' me? I've only been over here 65 minutes!" I got a drink and called my buddy down the road. When the phone was answered all I heard was "Which one did you get?" I said I'm not for sure but I believe it was the Big 11 and I'm shakin too much to even get down! He was definately on his way so I just sat there and calmed down a bit. When I heard his truck coming down the road, I got down and looked for my arrow ~~ It was covered from end to end with blood......About that time he came running down and said "Get out the tree Big Dog...He's layin in the field and his antlers are sticking out of the beans...He didn't go 60 yards....I done seen him with the binoculars and he is a Dandy!" I was lucky to find my bow, let lone the quiver and my pack.......I was sorta anxious and scared as we all know what "Ground-Shrink Looks Like".....There was none this time! The closer I got the better he looked. After a moment of shock, I looked to the sky and said "Thank You Lord for such a fine animal, Now I can spend more time getting ZJ in the woods" I've not had him Officially Scored but looks like he has about 160" of Bone on his head. I've killed some dandy bucks but this one just may be my best to date.

Attachments

• hpim1599.jpg
    hpim1599.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
What a stud of a deer. It looks like that left side is all palmated. Thanks for sharing and truly a buck of a lifetime.

RUT NUT

Congrats on a great buck! I'm sure you said the heck with that nap after all of that! Haha!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
#1 was killed over the hill we do believe.....But a fella stopped me the other day (He thought I was tracking one) and described a deer he almost hit with his truck the night before.........His story sure sounded like the "Booner" I was after. (I would say he is about 180 give or take). I did not get a pic of him as he was camera-shy. I do have a pic of #2 which my fiance wants real bad! We have his sheds from last year and he grew about another 10 or so inches this year.......Here he is in Velvet.........Won't let me download....Hold on!

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I think maybe your unselfishness has been rewarded - God honors hearts such as this : "After a moment of shock, I looked to the sky and said "Thank You Lord for such a fine animal, Now I can spend more time getting ZJ in the woods"

Not to mention your own skills, scouting, being in the right place, and a good shot! Don't sell yourself short.

Well done brother hunter, well done.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Sorry fellas to take so long but I have a picture of last year's sheds and what we call Chocolate Buck in velvet. Had him in the #2 spot mainly because we had his sheds from last year.....my fiance is still hoping for a shot at him.....he should turn back up in the late season.

cdy_0005.jpg

hpim1604.jpg

The velvet picture is not a very good one of him but it is the only picture my fiance had of him at her house. We have been as close as 40 yards to him on the hoof and guess him in at around 155

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very cool Rick! Finding a bucks sheds(especially a shooters) definitely puts them near the front of the target line! Lol

I hope your fiancé gets a crack at him!