Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who's got the itch?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's not even December yet and I'm already itchin to get out on some hard water! Last winter I got into ice fishing seriously and it rapidly turned into one of my favorite outdoor activities. Honestly, I could care less fishing in the summer these days... Ice fishing is where it's at!

Anyone planning on gettings some new gear this? I'd really like to find a Nils auger this season. I have an 8" Laser and it works pretty well, but after using my cousin's Nils there is absolutely no comparison. By far, the Nils is the most amazing auger I've ever seen.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I love ice fishing but have never gotten into the fish very good. Last year I bought a Marcum sonar and used it a lot on the pond. I am going to try a spring bobber setup this year and from what I've been told that will up your catch rate quite a bit because it detects the slightest bites.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I haven't iced fished in a buch of years. Like Gern, I never got into the fish really well. I caught a ginormous crappie through the ice one year fishing for pike! We have a pond full of fish across the street and we can't catch fish through the ice to save our lives.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I've done 10 times more fishing this Fall at Indian Lake than I have in past years, so I may have to give ice fishing a try as well. I know a couple guys that go down pretty often, so may have to tag along.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I love ice fishing but have never gotten into the fish very good. Last year I bought a Marcum sonar and used it a lot on the pond. I am going to try a spring bobber setup this year and from what I've been told that will up your catch rate quite a bit because it detects the slightest bites.

Gern, do yourself a favor and buy an underwater camera! The marcum sonar units are kick-ass, but there's definitely something to be said about actually watching the fish eat your presentation. You would be absolutely amazed how many times the fish down there will suck in a waxie or jig and spit it back out without you ever feeling a thing... even with a spring bobber. When using a camera, you know exactly WHAT is down there and WHEN they strike. It's damn-near impossible to not hook fish man.

The other thing about underwater cams is they give you valuable intel that a sonar unit cannot tell you. A flasher will only tell you if the fish are there or not, but it won't tell you a thing about their attitude. Example.... Last year my bro and I were crappie fishing up by the lake and we were pounding 'em pretty good for the first hour or so. But once the sun came up, they really mellowed out. Our monitors were showing us slabs all around our jigs, but they just stopped biting. While messing with them for a bit, I noticed on my monitor that the fish became interested and approached the jig each time it would rise a bit. So, I stood up in my shanty and put my rod tip right in the hole... then I slowly raised my rod tip until it was above my head (we were fishing about 7' of water)... Right when that jig got to within 24 inches of my hole, slabs would come out of nowhere and absolutely hammer it! It was so clear that I was literally sight fishing at that point. I must have caught a dozen or more extra crappie simply by switching to that tactic, AND I WOULD HAVE NEVER THOUGHT TO TRY IT IF IT WEREN'T FOR THAT CAMERA.

Get a camera, dude... Once you try it, you won't be able to fish without it!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Yea I almost bought one last year. What kind should I get? I know some serious ice fisherman up north and they said the same thing you just did.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yea I almost bought one last year. What kind should I get? I know some serious ice fisherman up north and they said the same thing you just did.

Here's the camera that I have. I think I paid around 100 bucks for it on sale last year after Christmas. It works really well and so far (knock on wood) I haven't had any issues with it.
http://www.cabelas.com/underwater-c...-07F1-E011-9A77-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

Color monitors are really nice, but not totally necessary. The bigger the screen is, the better... again, not necessary but nice to have. There are so many brands out there that I think it would just be a matter of checking all the reviews thoroughly.

If you get one let me know. I've devised a pretty slick method for keeping track of camera depth and adjusting camera direction that I'll share with you.

I gave ice fishing a try last winter. I bought a rod, a box of jigs, a 6" auger and picked up some magots on the way to a farm pond. It was high noon and the next thing I know it was dark and I'd caught 4 different species of fish...eating sized ones. The colors on the fish were like nothing that I'd ever seen...brilliant, crisp and perfect in every way.

I tried putting some window kits over the windows of my groundblind, to seal out the cold air and used my LP gas single burner for heat...yep, I was hooked. :smiley_blink: I sold the groundblind, purchased a Cabelas 6x6x7 Ice Shelter, ice cleats, equip. sled, etc., etc. The last time I stopped ice fishing was Feb. 22, when the ice started making cracking noises and I had to get off the ice. 3 weeks later there was open water again.

I'll be out there again, when the ice is 4" or better.

This past spring/summer I purchased a kayak to continue my fishing addiction and installed a fishfinder in it. The fishfinder made fishing fun, productive and consistant. I found out that all you have to do to use this type of fishfinder is wet the ice and set the transducer on the ice. The transducer will read through the ice, as long as there are no air bubbles between it and the water...so clear and/or quality ice is very important. Using a fishfinder this way will let you see where there are fish, without having to auger so many holes.

See you on the ice!!!
Bowhunter57

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I getting the itch bad this year. I haven't been on the ice in a few years, but gonna start back on the parents pond this winter. It's in need of some gills and a few bass taken out!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I getting the itch bad this year. I haven't been on the ice in a few years, but gonna start back on the parents pond this winter. It's in need of some gills and a few bass taken out!

Hellz yea dude! That's what I'm talking about!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Never tried it, but I would like to.

For years I dabbled in ice fishing... but never really had any of my own gear. I would just go with a buddy or friend every now and then, and honestly I never had much luck, so I didn't get all that excited about it. Since moving to Medina County, away from my ice fishing buddies, I realized the fishing potential around here and that I had absolutely nothing to do in the dead of winter. Last year after Christmas I finally took the plunge and outfitted myself with everything I'd need to be a serious ice fisherman. I tell you what, that was probably one of my best investments ever. I had so much fun ice fishing last season! I used to be a die hard bass fisherman and went on the lake all the time for perch and walleye, too... But since getting into ice fishing I could really care less about fishing during the summer. I can't wait for the lakes and ponds around here to freeze! The fish seem more concentrated, you can catch bigger fish, the fish coming out of ice-cold water are delicious... and it's just plain awesome to sit in a shanty with the buddy heater going, fishing in a tshirt, and sippin on a little bit of whiskey as you watch fish through the underwater camera. Moral of the story... Give it a try, man... I think you'll like it.

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
Even though I run a charter on Erie that puts me on the water a lot in the summer, I would much rather ice fish than fish out of a boat. I think ice fishing is a hobbie that you either love or hate. A lot of the guys I charter with don't get into ice fishing at all. My dad and brothers all fish with me in the summer, but none of them will go ice fishing. There is nothing like watching the vex light up when you are on the fish. There is about an ince of ice on the pond at the farm but looks like it is going to warm up. Last year we had good ice early, but with all of the snow, the ice season wasn't as good as previous years. Hoping to be on the big pond by the middle of january.

Ryan

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Even though I run a charter on Erie that puts me on the water a lot in the summer, I would much rather ice fish than fish out of a boat. I think ice fishing is a hobbie that you either love or hate. A lot of the guys I charter with don't get into ice fishing at all. My dad and brothers all fish with me in the summer, but none of them will go ice fishing. There is nothing like watching the vex light up when you are on the fish. There is about an ince of ice on the pond at the farm but looks like it is going to warm up. Last year we had good ice early, but with all of the snow, the ice season wasn't as good as previous years. Hoping to be on the big pond by the middle of january.

Ryan

I hear that! I could care less about fishing from a boat these days. Give me some good ice and I'm all about it! I've never fished the Erie ice yet... One of these I'd like to give it a try.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You are more than welcome to tag along with me on an Erie trip anytime.

Sounds awesome! Oh I see you're in Willard, too. I've always wanted to catch some of those jumbo perch from the reservoir there but I hear they usually have a terrible case of lockjaw. I plan on giving Willard a try or two this season... As long as we get good ice anyway.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
You are more than welcome to tag along with me on an Erie trip anytime.

Good to see you found your way over Ryan. Would be cool if we could get a group of guys together and do some fishing, then down a few cold ones in the shop. I already told Tevan Dick's Gift Cards are going towards ice gear:)