Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need a product suggestion - Gloves

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Was out in the rain all day yesterday...ALL DAY, not in a popup but on the ground.
No problem, raingear is good, boots are good, I was relatively warm and dry and comfortable (in relation to dryness...my butt is sore though). Except for my hands - they were shriveled up like prunes by midday.

I'm looking for gloves that are lightweight, comfortable, ok for use in warm weather (40 deg plus) and WATERPROOF. Any suggestions? What do you guys like?

saddlepants

central Ohio
I have no suggestions for you but one thing to look out for. I have a pair from rocky but when I washed them one season the plastic lining is not much more than plastic food service type things sewn in between. It came loose and took an entire season of fuggin with them to get all the fingers back into the fingers. I had a "short" thumb for a whole season. There ok now. I will give a heads up to deerskin though. Deerskins I use for riding and they get wet but stay warm even when wet. Something to say about that tough hide?

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I found..well given the best thing this year by my buddy Denny. He gave me one of those hand warmers that go around your waist thats waterproof and when you puta couple hand warmers in there you are golden!!! I have been wearing light weight gloves so far this year and not had cold hands. I used to be on a major mission to find the best pair of gloves. Not anymore.

saddlepants

central Ohio
I found..well given the best thing this year by my buddy Denny. He gave me one of those hand warmers that go around your waist thats waterproof and when you puta couple hand warmers in there you are golden!!! I have been wearing light weight gloves so far this year and not had cold hands. I used to be on a major mission to find the best pair of gloves. Not anymore.

That was exactly the plan I came up with this year, gloves just dont keep them warm. Im gonna make my own for next year and make it waterproof yet silent somehow.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
They're not waterproof, but even when wet it seems like my brown jersey gloves still stay warm. I buy bulk packs every year and go through them all the time. The wash with my hunting clothes, get smoked up, and I keep extra pairs in my pack & blind bag for duck hunting. If you really want waterproof, get a pair of dish washing gloves and wear them under the brown jerseys. I have a buddy that does this, and he swears by it. He got tired of spending money on expensive, so called waterproof gloves, then wearing them out in less than a season.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I use the UA liner gloves all season long in conjunction with hand warmers. When I'm hunting cold weather, I wear bibs as my out layer and either have a jacket or hoodie on underneath the bibs. I stash the hand warmers in a pocket and keep my hands buried in there while I am on stand. I also only wear one glove since I shoot a T-handle style release and hate to shoot it with a glove on. The UA gloves are great IMO...

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Warmth isn't the problem I'm trying to beat, it's dryness (or wetness). Sounds like Curran's buddy might be on to something.

Wow just clicked Huck's cabela link - looked at some gloves on there...$50 or even $40 is MADNESS for a pair of gloves...sheesh

(Not dissing you Huck, just bashing high prices)

Last edited:
Cabela's has a bunch of different gore-tex gloves. They do a pretty good job. I have a pair of warmer gloves that I use when I'm gun hunting. I only wear one glove on my left hand when I'm bow hunting so I usually take my hand warmer muff to put my right hand in. I like to be able to feel the trigger on my release so I don't accidentally bump it if I'm wearing gloves. But, check out cabelas.com and you can view all their selections.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The problem with dishwashing gloves are that they are not breathable. If you wear them for very long you are going to get moisture lock. If you ever worked in the food/medical industry wearing latex gloves you know what I am talking about. I use Rocky gloves that have a place for my release to go through. I keep a spare in my pack. I try to keep my hands in my pockets/under my coat when it is raining and then change the gloves out when they start getting soggy.

If it is kinda cold out the way to go is a waterproof muff. Keep your hands in it while waiting. Add handwarmer if needed.

epe

Lancaster
Get a waterfowl hunting handwarmer that goes around your waist. Mine has 12 ga shellholders on the outside. Made out of neoprene, same as my waders. You could buy them in gloves too.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Looks like I might wanna get Busy designing the waterproof TOO muff with a special handwarmer pocket to keep the warmers from falling out and to the ground (BTDT), Gloves are a PITA with a release on anyway Im learning fast