Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cabin Buck

Got One

I had to work Friday night till midnight and decided to head down to the cabin since my wife was already there ( a 3.5 hr drive). I got on stand before day break and it just felt like one of those mornings. A small buck followed a doe at first light then headed out of sight. Soon after 9 shots rang out in a matter of 5 minutes on the adjoining property. 10 minutes later a doe came to a scrap and stood above it for 30 minutes without leaving,just milled around and peed in the scrap. I've never seen this before. I headed back to camp for the afternoon to get a few things done for next week for when the family comes down for gun week. I headed out at 4 for the evening hunt and got into the stand on the edge of my santuary. 30 minutes later a doe comes out of the draw and slowly feeds on the ridgeline. About 5 minutes later a buck follows her tracks with his nose to the ground.He stopped and rubbed a tree then proceeded to make a scrap, slowly working his way towards me. I told my self I'm only going to shoot 1 certain buck if he shows up. He is the biggest buck on trail cameras this year so far.Not a monster by any means but a mature shooter. Sure enough he is the buck following this doe. The buck slowly mingles up the ridgeline where i have no shot due to brush and I figure it just wont happen. Then he turns towards me and gives me 1 shot in a very small window at 42 yards. I shoot and the illuminock hits it's mark and he runs 40 yards and walks out of sight. I'm pretty sure I hear him fall and then heard a loud gasp of air. After waiting 30 minutes I check my arrow and find bright lung blood and start to track him. He went 70 yards and collapsed. A great evening and great hunt. I called Jacob (Jesse's nephew) and he came over and helped me drag it out.

Attachments

• cbk111811 057 (Small).jpg
    cbk111811 057 (Small).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 207
  • deer ducks 2011 008 (Small).jpg
    deer ducks 2011 008 (Small).jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 219

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hell yeah Steve!!! If I'm not mistaken, that is the first good buck you've taken from down there right? It is good to see that sanctuary paying off! It is definitely the kind of place those bucks need to have in their core area and with Karen and Kelly feeding all the deer with corn this year, it puts you in a great place! Happy as hell to see you connect out there. I'll have to stop out Sunday and pay a visit!!!

Got One

Thanks for all the kudo's!! Jesse, try to stop by Sat. night for our annual walleye fry. Jeremy, great talking deer with you, it makes the work day go by a little faster. Good luck this season and see you next spring on the Pike!!