Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rifled Choke Tube?

As a less expensive alternative, I've been considering the purchase of a rifled choke tube. However, it could be a waste of money, if the accuracy isn't there.

* Does anyone have any experiences with Rifled Choke Tubes?
* Were you using saboted ammo?
* How do rifled choke tubes compare to rifled barrels?

Your experienced opinions are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

150plus

I Have an 870 Remington with a 21 inch barrel and a rifled choke tube and a scope.I shoot the cheap 2 3/4 Winchester slugs. I can keep a 3 inch group at 100 yards. I Have Never tried any of the high dollar slugs . When i used a modified tube it was more like a 10 inch group. Good luck

150plus,
Welcome to The Ohio Outdoors! :smiley_blink:

You have about the same set up as I have. I have a Mossberg 500 Turkey Special with a 20" barrel and fiber optic sights. It's drilled and tapped for a scope base, so I may use that option, if the accuracy is as good as you have with your shotgun. Slug guns tend to be as accurate as the ammo that's being shot through them...like rimfire rifles. I may have to try a few different brands.

Bowhunter57

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
How do you like the 153? Always intrigued me. I would already have one if I could find slug barrels for it.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
On my Winchester 1300 I use a 3" rifled choke tube. It does fairly well on grouping but I did find out that it likes the copper solids better then any other slugs. Sucks for me since they aren't cheap rounds but you just can't put a price on what those slugs do lol.

RedCloud said:
Sucks for me since they aren't cheap rounds but you just can't put a price on what those slugs do lol.
RedCloud,
I agree with you, on the cost of the ammo. It's not like you're gonna be pumping a lot of rounds like you might, if you were hunting rabbits or pheasants. The performance is worth the price. :smiley_bril:

Beentown said:
How do you like the 153? Always intrigued me. I would already have one if I could find slug barrels for it.
Beentown,
I absolutely love my MP-153, as it has all the features of other big name brand shotguns, but at a fraction of the cost. I've owned this one for over 7 years and it has been a proven performer.

My primary purpose for this shotgun was for waterfowl...mostly geese. After some research, I purchased a Terror Choke in a .685" restriction. Using 3 1/2" Kent Fast Steel, in BBBs, at 1550 f.p.s., this combination of ammo and non-ported extended choke tube will give me a 91% pattern inside a 30" circle at 40 yards. :smiley_blink: I do a lot of pass shooting, but even when I'm field hunting over decoys, I hardly ever let a bird pass without knocking them down. It's not uncommon for this shotgun to drop geese at 55+ yards...and I mean they come out stone dead. Love this shotgun!

I too, wish there was someone that made a rifled slug barrel for this shotgun. However, there are several manufacturers of rifled choke tubes with the .795x44 thread.

The features for the $350, that I paid for mine (new), was and is unheard of for a semi-auto shotgun. Chrome lined bore, gas operated, gas releaved, adjustable gas operation to accomodate 2 3/4" to 3 1/2" ammo. Also available in 24", 26" and 28" barrel lengths, ribbed barrels, 3 choke tubes come standard with the MP-153 and wood or synthetic stocks.

This is the same shotgun that Remington managed to get the distribution rights to and called it their Spartan 453. Remington had to do something with this company, as the Russian Baikal was killing they're sales. As was the Russian Baikal MP-153, their 3 1/2" pump action model, that was being sold for $200. Some folks were complaining that the wood to metal fit and finish was horrible and to that I say...so what, bah hum bug and kiss my butt...while I kill a silly amount of geese, standing next to the guy that paid 2x or 3x what I paid for my shotgun. Remington has sinced relinquished their dealings with Baikal.

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

FredT

SE Ohio
As a less expensive alternative, I've been considering the purchase of a rifled choke tube. However, it could be a waste of money, if the accuracy isn't there.

* Does anyone have any experiences with Rifled Choke Tubes?
* Were you using saboted ammo?
* How do rifled choke tubes compare to rifled barrels?

Your experienced opinions are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

I have a Rem 11-87 SP with a smooth bore, rifle sights and rifled choke tube. It shoots the Win Foster slugs into a 2 inch group at 50 yards. I also make the Lyman cast slug which is deadly and will also do 2 inches at 50 yards. Never tried sabot slugs in it. The others shot well enough. I have a T/C Encore scoped and rifled 20 gage that I shoot sabot rounds in. It will group amazingly well for a few shot then throw a flier. I have a Model 512 ugly, heavy bolt gun scoped and rifled that shoots pretty good with all saboted rounds.

Looks like I'm going to have to order a rifled choke tube. The I.C. choke tube didn't get it...a 4" group at 50 yards and 10" left. :smiley_arrogant:

* Just an update: I found a cantalever rifled barrel w/ a 3x9 Simmons scope, at Dick's Sporting Goods in Holland (Toledo), for $160. I couldn't pass up the deal and glad I picked it up. I shot some Federal sabots thru it and got 1" groups at 50 yards. :smiley_clap: Color me happy!

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
good deal 57! Sounds like your search is over. You seem to have found the perfect gun for your needs!