Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Athens county freak

Gordo

Athens County

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I got some info on this buck from a friend. Tyler (a member of midwest whitetail, we turkey hunt every year. He's a great guy) sent me a text and told me the buck was taken by Nick Schell, toward New Marshfeild. He said he took it to the taxi last night and it was pushing 190's, possibly more. He said Nick has been hunting this deer for 3 years, and hit him last january. He was able to seal the deal on him this time though. Congrats to Nick, hopefully i'll have some more info soon.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got some info on this buck from a friend. Tyler (a member of midwest whitetail, we turkey hunt every year. He's a great guy) sent me a text and told me the buck was taken by Nick Schell, toward New Marshfeild. He said he took it to the taxi last night and it was pushing 190's, possibly more. He said Nick has been hunting this deer for 3 years, and hit him last january. He was able to seal the deal on him this time though. Congrats to Nick, hopefully i'll have some more info soon.

Glad to hear it was killed by someone who had a history with him. It's OK if it isn't that way but really cool when it turns out that way. Congrats to Nick on an outstanding buck.

Just curious about something though. Does anyone know if this deer was non-typ. last year or the year before or did the non fatal shot Nick had at him cause him to turn freakish. Where was the hit in conjunction to the left side in other words.

Last edited:

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Glad to hear it was killed by someone who had a history with him. It's OK if it isn't that way but really cool when it turns out that way. Congrats to Nick on an outstanding buck.

Just curious about something though. Does anyone know if this deer was non-typ. last year or the year before or did the non fatal shot Nick had at him cause him to turn freakish. Where was the hit in conjunction to the left side in other words.

Tyler said the deer didnt have a messed up side until Nick wounded him last year. It's amazing how it all played out.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That very interesting! I was wondering about that since your update at the begining of this thread. Thanks for checking into it for me MH.

saddlepants

central Ohio
thats interesting, my neighbor has a buck that he followed for quite a few years..showed a pic of him big and beautiful rack but the mount now is not so good and shorter tines. You can still tell its the same guy but he said one year it got the crap beat out of him by other bucks and didnt think it would live, and another year he thinks it might have gotten hit and survived. But he is a far cry from what he once was.

mrex

*Supporting member*
I "green" taped this buck at 183" net nontyp. The skull cap probably weighs 10 lbs...very heavy.

There is a lot of room for interpretation of the B&C scoring system with this rack.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There is a lot of room for interpretation of the B&C scoring system with this rack.

That is one crazy set of antlers. Which one scored as the left main beam?.... the lower one with what looks like a G2 and G3 or the upper one with what looks like a matching G1? Seems to me like it could basically go either way.

mrex

*Supporting member*
That is one crazy set of antlers. Which one scored as the left main beam?.... the lower one with what looks like a G2 and G3 or the upper one with what looks like a matching G1? Seems to me like it could basically go either way.

I used the lower but you are correct, it could go either way.