Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Huck's Hunting Journal

Huckleberry Finn

Huckleberry Finn's Hunting Log 2011/12
Hours Hunted: 11
Deer Seen: 14
Stands Hunted: 2
Deer Harvested: 2 (does, bow

-

Saw nothing tonight, sat for 3 hours. Got bored. Almost got cold. It was wonderful. I'm looking at the weather and thinking about hunting a different property tomorrow morning as Monday looks like the morning to sleep in. I'm really not sure, I'll at least hunt tomorrow night.

Huckleberry Finn

Elected to sleep into today.

Took a 2 hr walk this afternoon on another property (didn't even carry my bow). Something fishy going on over there, I think maybe meth on the neighbor's property. Property is posted, getting ahold of the LO. 2 stands that have been there since before I have hunted the property are gone. Lots of tracks down the one side of the woods, so I might sit in the front corner at some point this week, but not overly hopeful.

Saw a huge deer run into the woods, right past my stand, from the back window. Oh well...pretty sure I'll be sitting there tomorrow morning and night.

Off to eat some venison over noodles, yea that's the good stuff!

Huckleberry Finn

Hunted 3 hours this morning and 3 hours tonight. Didn't see any deer. Had a 'perfect' hunt this morning though, smoked up, on time, quiet, didn't forget anything, etc. Ahh well. Saw a half dozen turkeys and some squirrels. Relaxing day hunting and getting some stuff done.

Hours Hunted: 17
Deer Seen: 14
Deer Harvested: 2 (does, bow

Huckleberry Finn

Honestly, it did feel good to be prepared, not rushing, not throwing crap together...just a perfect hunt planned and executed - I like to have one of those a year. Of course, if the deer had played along, that'd be fine. If I don't shoot another deer this year, that's ok too...but I sure as heck do enjoy the time sitting out in the woods just thinking. My soul has needed it too.

Huckleberry Finn

Sat 3 hours tonight. Saw 3: the button buck whose sister I killed, a fat doe, and a tank of a buck...didn't see antlers against the corn but he was cut like he's been working out at the gym. Had deer blowing at me all over the place on the way out (whoops).

Back at it in the morning.

Hours Hunted: 20
Deer Seen: 17
Deer Harvested: 2 (does, bow)

Huckleberry Finn

Yea did my best stealth mode. Waited til a damn possum walked under my stand and figured that since I saw the 2 go off and heard the other one go into the woods, and waited 15 minutes I'd be fine...nope 2 in the field plus one down the edge...all of a sudden there are deer all over the place!

Huckleberry Finn

Hunted the morning, moved my stand 40 yards, hunted the evening. Saw 1 button buck (killed his twin earlier this season) who was as close as 35 yards.

Hours Hunted: 27
Deer Seen: 18

Huckleberry Finn

Hours Hunted: 30
Deer Seen: 18

--

Didn't see anything tonight but blew 2 out of the field again when I was walking to my truck. Hunted 2 mornings and 5 nights in the same woods, with a tree stand move in there yesterday. Probably burnt it out but I knew I wanted to focus on this farm. No deer this week (rabbit hunting tomorrow morning and family thanksgiving tomorrow night) but had a great time in the woods relaxing and thinking. Didn't hardly get cold or wet!

Huckleberry Finn

That's the hope, I would have rather someone killed him than getting hit by the car half a mile down the road though. I guess that's just how it happens though.

According to the land owner, that piece of property has been pretty bleak but I know I'm a little bit smarter than his hunting techniques. I haven't lost hope and I'm not jumping to get back into the stand. I've got plenty of time. Heck I haven't shot my bow in two weeks anyways. Gonna fix that this afternoon and plan on hunting back there Saturday night. We'll go from there.