Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Curses

Schu72

Streetsboro
Had an uneventful morning hunt. Headed back to Mom's for lunch. Went down and put up the blind for the afternoon hunt. Got back to the house look out the window and a big buck walks right through the yard and right past our blind! We grabbed our gear and tried to sneak down after the buck vacated in hopes he will return.

saddlepants

central Ohio
I wish I could count how many times Ive gotten down out of a stand disgusted and a little early only to look back and see more than one standing under it from a distance. Good luck tonight!

Schu72

Streetsboro
Wow! Close call this evening. Got snuck up on from behind, and the buck wouldn't cooperate. Ethan said he had the dot on the back of his neck, but I asked him to wait for the buck to step forward. Buck cut into the woods instread. He was pissed at me. There's a little more to the story when I'm on the computer.

Last edited:

Schu72

Streetsboro
More details....

Ok, so we decided to hit the blind at 2. That gave us 3 hours in the blind. These deer tend to move early and often. I didn't want the deer to beat us to the spot eventhough I knew 3 hours would be a long sit after the time we already put in this morning. So of course he is ancy within 30 minutes of being set up and my back is killing me from sitting on my bucket all day. Nothing was moving yet and I remebered I had an old apple in my bucket. So I get it out and break it in quarters and toss them out in front of the blind. I finally give up and get off the bucket and ist on the ground. Ethan can't sit still either. Then I see movement. There is a doe coming straight at us. I wisper to Ethan and get him situated, but the gun is not on his bipod. Then pops out another deer and then a third. My son is wanting to shot one, but I know there are plenty of bucks on this property. The deer keep moving closer and closer. The adult doe finds all of the apples and is chewing them while staring towards us at 8 yards! My son is begging me to shot. I told him I didn't think we could get the gun up with out spooking them. Now they were working to our right and I was having trouble keeping tabs on them. I turn to the the far right window and "holy chit...buck...buck". Now I throw the gun up and get him ready. The buck stops where we have no shot. I pretty sure he eventually saw us moving and darted into the woods. The does stayed put so I told him to be ready and sure enough he came back within 20 seconds. Now he was working to out left almost dead infront of us. This is where I ask if he can get the scope on him and he says he can only see the head and neck...I say no...buck heads back to the woods. PPPffffttttt! Ended up seeing 7 deer on that sit, 4 within range. Son not happy.:smiley_confused_vra

This deer should be on camera, as well wide but thin 10 point I think. I'll pull that sd card tomorrow.

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

Nice! Good luck tomorrow.

(Oh, and get a camping chair in there...hopefully he'll wake you up before he pulls the trigger!)

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good luck tomorrow Schu! Hope you guys connect on one. Better let your son take a doe or he might not talk to you for a while. A deer in the freezer is worth two in the bush.