Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Where do you aim?

Big H

Medina
Title says it, where are you typically aiming on a deer when you shoot? I always think about the exit, and love a quartering away shot. That being said, I always try to shoot for the middle of the body with archery equipment, whether it is a bow or a crossbow.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ribs, center of. Too far to the rear youre in the guts. Too far to the front you get the shoulder. Shoot em in the center of the ribcage and you have a dead deer.

epe

Lancaster
What do you guys call center of? I aim about three inches behind the lower shoulder bone, about 2/3 of the way down.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Pretty much follow the back of the front leg straight up to just below mid body. Room for error to either side from that point. If you hit precisely where you aim, you still win.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That suggestion is for a broadside deer of course. 1/4 away, I shoot for the opposite shoulder. On a 1/4 away shot, I'd rather be too far back than too far forward.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Get you picture out Redcloud.

You talkin about this one ?

loose_is_fast

McClure
i alway aim at the bottom third and just behind the "pin" or so i call it which is the little point behind the shoulder. If the deer jumps the string they always have to move down a little to go any direction so if they do you are still in the vitals if not you are hitting the pump station.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If it's a close shot (under 15 yards) quartering away heart all the way.... past that I deflate the lungs.... good picture Adam..... Always like looking at it too refresh my memory.....