Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rest in Peace, but senseless

matt hougan

Dayton area
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/8860231-418/hunter-dies-after-scuffle-with-deer-he-shot.html

Never approach a deer that is still alive. A few years ago my boss shot a 170 down in Indian Hill. 5 hours later we track the deer still alive. He rushed to grab the deer. I horse collared him and drug him back to reality. Had he grabbed ahold of that deer it could have gotten realy bad for everyone. People forget these are extremely powerful critters with an insane will to live.

Keep in mind that without your bow or shotgun you are physically out gunned.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sad to hear of stories like this. Unfortunately, there are nutjob anti-hunters that will be happy to hear this. Thanks for sharing the reminder Matt.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Yeah, and never approach one down that has its eyes closed. Hes not dead. My ex stood over one for five minutes writing out his tag and reach down to put it on a big buck. it opened its eyes, saw him and jumped up from flat on his back in a gully and ran. He was shot dead then but still, geez!!

Similar thing happened to my buddy and I about 6 years ago while out muzzleloader hunting. He shot "at it" and saw it drop. We walked up to within about 20 yards and saw it not moving so we went to go get the ATV to haul it out. When we came back it wasn't there. No blood trail. All of a sudden we heard all this crashing down in the ravine below us. We walk to the edge and it's kicking and thrashing trying to get up the other side. I had my muzzleloader still loaded so I put one in it and it drops.. It was my buddy's first buck so I offered to butcher it for him. After I skin it down I realize that the only hole in this thing was my kll shot to the neck. The whole back leg all the way to the rib cage was all bruised up. There was a highway about 200 yards from where he shot him. The only logical thing I can come up with is that it had just gotten hit by a vehicle, ran into the woods and dropped about 10 steps after my buddy shot "at him". My buddy didn't believe me so I had to email him pictures. The only guy I know that put a tag on a deer he didn't shoot LMAO. I'm just glad we idn't get too close to that thing or it could have been a similar story.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
FIL had one suprise him once. He nuged it and nothing. Stepped over it to start to gut it and when he grabed the one hind leg the buck flipped over and jumped up before my FIL could react. Next thing he knew he was doing all he could trying to drive the bucks head towards the ground by the back of the rack (he is 6'2 ish 250+ lbs). Bucks tilled a path spinning its hind legs till another hunter heard the racket and came over to assist.

Huckleberry Finn

My grandfather tells a story of either him or my great-grandfather, one of them shot a buck, laid their rifle and knife down on the deer, went back to get the tractor, and came back to see the buck off on the edge of the field, running away, unscathed.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Sorry to hear about this. It is sad, but part of me has the thought that this is just another example of nature eliminating stupidity from the gene pool.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Im no mod but Ill gladley cut and paste it - I watched some idiots on one of the "good" hunting shows approach a deer with no weapon right out of a box blind!!