Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

right place right time.......that's all it takes

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
see pics. Caught this stud in my winter rye/oat plot at noon one day and then caught what looks like the same deer cruising next to one of my feeders.

Attachments

• PICT0316.JPG
    PICT0316.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 257
  • PICT0111.jpg
    PICT0111.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 245

epe

Lancaster
I can't zoom in that well, but I think they are different deer. The rye deer has longer g2s than g3s, where it is the opposite in the second pic.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
I can't zoom in that well, but I think they are different deer. The rye deer has longer g2s than g3s, where it is the opposite in the second pic.

I hope you are right. I have been getting a mid to high 130's 10 point regularly. Thought both were him but maybe not. I love that rye/oat/clover mix and so do the deer. He skipped the corn to hit the food plot.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I hope you are right. I have been getting a mid to high 130's 10 point regularly. Thought both were him but maybe not. I love that rye/oat/clover mix and so do the deer. He skipped the corn to hit the food plot.

Nice. Gotta love seeing good bucks moving during daylight hours.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
work is really killing me right now. I just simply don't have the time to get down and hunt as much as I would like. I took off too early this year and should have pushed everything back a week. Even when I take off I only get to hunt two days. There is no doubt in my mind if I could have 5 days off in a row right now I would have a great chance at killing a nice deer. My trail cams prove this as most of the daytime trail cam pics I am getting of bucks are very close to my stands. However, only hunting a day a week makes it tough and you just about have to get lucky. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but I am fairly certain I could make it happen if I only had the time............. At the same time though I am fortunate to have a decent paying job too!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I know what you mean Darron! The more time your ass is in the tree the higher your odds are. Time and accessibility are the two biggest obstacles most hunters face to consistently put mature deer down. IMO

Hang in there and Goodluck!

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
It sucks man, I will be lucky if I get 14 days of seat time thru febuary.

I bet I only average 10 days or less with a bow every year. Since my time is limited I try to take my time from the last weekend in Oct through the middle of Novemeber. I don't do much bow hunting after gun season due to duck and goose hunting (I also enjoy waterfowling)

As I type this I had planned to go out and do an all day sit on my place until I woke up yesterday morning for work and couldn't barely swollow. Went to the doctors and he said I could have strep throat and put me on antibiotics. I don't want to be sick for the holiday weekend and gun season so I decided to sit today out.

If the good Lord wants me to shoot one he will put one there for me to shoot whether I hunt 1 day or 50.