Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Alphaburner

matt hougan

Dayton area
My old Hoyt Raptor Carbonite (1995) stills kills deer dead.........Still I cant help but drewl over some of the newer bows. Not wanting to pay retail for a new bow I have been cruising for a used bow. I really like the Trykon, but lately this Alphaburner keeps showing up. Hoyt fans give me your take on this bow.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I have only heard one being shot, and it was a little on the loud side. This was Hoyts model to compete with the ultra fast bows out there. If you don't want to break the bank but want a good Hoyt I recommend looking at the Turbo Hawk. It uses the same limbs and cams as the Alphamax just a different riser. Instead of a CNC machined aluminum riser it has a cast aluminum riser. Bought one for my son and it is dead quiet and smooth to shoot. I have warned him that if he doesn't start shooting it more I will have it setup for me by next season. lol

Derek j

Knox Co.
I'm a hoyt man.....proud to admit it. Not that I don't like the other bow makers, they all will kill deer. I have the hoyt vectrix (2008) and I love it. Very straight shooting, quiet, and accurate. Whatever bow you buy, make sure it has the stringstop on it. That makes a world of difference in sound. Right now everything above the ruckus has this feature. You will be happy with your choice.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Derek brought up a good point. That was one thing the Turbo Hawk didn't have but I bought a Limbsaver STS and it does a great job.

Here are some pics of his setup.
IMG00094-20100122-2206.jpgIMG00093-20100122-2205.jpg

Last edited:
The pro hawk and turbo hawk are great bows and a sweet value for the money. The hoyt alphaburner is a speed bow with a short brace height so if your form is a little off it will be be less forgiving. Just something to consider. Id wait until they phase out the crx 32 in feb and pick one up at a reduced price. The crx 32 is the lightest bow hoyt has made to date. The crx also has a crazy smooth draw cycle and its quite. i believe hoyt took a step in a wrong direction with their newest compound the vector.

Last edited:
If you picked up a Rampage XT which is the same specs,cam an limbs as the Crx 32 an weighs .05 more then the crx(an cost less) and converted it to the Z3 cams that came on the katera's..I think this would be one of the best bows hoyt NEVER produced..The lightest Hoyt every made would have to be either of the carbon models I think

If you picked up a Rampage XT which is the same specs,cam an limbs as the Crx 32 an weighs .05 more then the crx(an cost less) and converted it to the Z3 cams that came on the katera's..I think this would be one of the best bows hoyt NEVER produced..The lightest Hoyt every made would have to be either of the carbon models I think

The carbon bows arnt any lighter. we put my crx and my friends strelow's carbon element on a scale they both weigh with in .01 oz of each other. The carbon bows are are mostly hype. They use the same cams limbs and shoot arrows at the same speed but cost twice as much. I like my katera the way it is and my crx in one peice. So i wont be trying that experment but i like your idea. the z3 was a very fast cam put it on the new gen 3/8 limbs in a low cost platform and you will have one hell of a bow.

Last edited:

matt hougan

Dayton area

Wow, I like that Rampage XT. Thanks , theres even for sale on CL in Dayton. Hurry up snow, I need some extra cash!

The carbon bows arnt any lighter. we put my crx and my friends strelow's carbon element on a scale they both weigh with in .01 oz of each other. The carbon bows are are mostly hype. They use the same cams limbs and shoot arrows at the same speed but cost twice as much. I like my katera the way it is and my crx in one peice. So i wont be trying that experment but i like your idea. the z3 was a very fast cam put it on the new gen 3/8 limbs in a low cost platform and you will have one hell of a bow.
The Element definitely feels lighter TOO me..An i felt it was quieter then the rampage xt an crx(and my z28).Not that any of them bow are LOUD.But that's where it ends IMO...The cost difference doesn't justify what you end up with IMO...Thats how i feel about the Rampage XT..2011 it was the same specs,limbs an cams an cheaper then the Crx an 1/2 the Elements price..The z3s swap has been done on Matrix,elements,crx,alpha-max's...So i don't see why it wont work on a Rampage XT..A guy i know even has a little Kobalt with Z3 cams..Talk about a screamer!.I loved the z3 cams the speed an feel worked well together..I wasn't not a fan of the fuel cams but to each there own..I have yet to try anything 2012
Wow, I like that Rampage XT. Thanks , there's even for sale on CL in Dayton. Hurry up snow, I need some extra cash!

For the price its a sleeper bow IMO..Hope ya get your wish Matt

I like the draw cycle on the fuel cams a little better than the z3. It would have to be a big jump in speed for me to switch them out on the crx. The z3 has a pretty deep valley the fuel doesnt. I dont mind it thats why i still own the katera because its fast. For 2012 hoyt did lighten the carbon models so i guess they are the lightest ones now. But the post 2012 carbons weight 3.95.

Last edited:

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
My old Hoyt Raptor Carbonite (1995) stills kills deer dead.........Still I cant help but drewl over some of the newer bows. Not wanting to pay retail for a new bow I have been cruising for a used bow. I really like the Trykon, but lately this Alphaburner keeps showing up. Hoyt fans give me your take on this bow.

With as much as you make Matt paying retail for a bow shouldn't be a big deal ;)

matt hougan

Dayton area
With as much as you make Matt paying retail for a bow shouldn't be a big deal ;)

Yeah, cops and part time lawn care guys make a killing......LOL Kids are killing me with select ball, lacrosse, football, wrestling and soccer. I need all the wiggle room I can get.

You still coaching football? Hope your doing well!

matt hougan

Dayton area
This weekend I told my nephew that I would pass down my current bow to him. That way he starts with a qulity bow and I will have to get a new one.........lol I'll wait intil the season is over to buy a bow.

Last edited: