Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Excited for youth weekend

Schu72

Streetsboro
I’m looking forward to this weekend. My oldest son and I will be headed to southern Ohio for two days of gun hunting. I haven’t decided exactly what location we will be hunting yet. He seems a little concerned about being up in a tree stand, so we may be in a ground blind or box blind. He is only shooting a .410 so our range will be limited. For that reason I’m leery of the box blinds. On this particular farm the shots from the box blinds are usually a pretty good poke.
We did some shooting last weekend and that did go fairly well. Last year we got skunked both days. I hope we have a little better luck this year. My mom did give us the green light to hunt the honey hole, but I want to give him the experience of hunting farm country at least one day. I hope to have a bunch of pics to post.
Good luck to everyone who will be out with their youth hunters this weekend!

lung buster

hocking county
I know exactly what your talking about! Man I'm so pumped for my boy. I took the weekend off and were going to hit it hard. Good luck to you guys and anyone else taking a kid this weekend! I can't wait to hear some stories and see some pics!

Buckmaster

Portage
Railroad Perm Stand.jpgNick's 4 point miss.jpg

Scott,
Here's one of my box blinds? It can seat two. This shot is 20-25 yards. Bring him over and we can place you guys here. This is where Nick scored last weekend.
`BM

Buckmaster

Portage
Thanks for the offer, but I already made arrangements for this year. Maybe we could plan something for next year or muzzy season if we strike out. Really appreciate the offer.

Ok, sound good. Good luck. I'll be down that way Weds night thru Sunday.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
I'm not that excited about it personally. Seems like around me the parents do not accompany the kids and they are out roaming the woods by theirself hunting wherever they want. Every youth season I make it a point to go down and bow hunt all day just so the locals see me in town. I have had problems in the past with local youths trespassing all over our place with no parent in sight.

Good luck to those going out.

matt hougan

Dayton area
I am very excited about this weekend too. Best thing ODNR has ever done is offer a youth only season. Make it all about the kids and do what ever it takes to keep it a positive experience. Good luck and lets see pictures of lots of smiling faces.

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
I will be out with my 8 year old son, every morning he keeps asking is it tomorow yet? He is also shooting a .410 so I will hopefully be able to tuck him into the ground blind in one of my bowhunting spots. Good luck to everyone still holding a buck tag and bowhunting, my experience has been awesome so don't give up!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You guys that have your boys shooting 410 should try a muzzy if your boy fits it.
That's what my kids use. They don't kick and of course the knock down power is much better.

My boy just turned 10 and that's what he shoots. Put it on a shooting stick and let her fly.

Schu72

Streetsboro
You guys that have your boys shooting 410 should try a muzzy if your boy fits it.
That's what my kids use. They don't kick and of course the knock down power is much better.

My boy just turned 10 and that's what he shoots. Put it on a shooting stick and let her fly.

Mike, what powder charge do you use in the muzzy for kids? I was thinking of doing that this year, but ran out of time. I have that new muzzy I picked up from COB that I was going to try with some lower charges. 75-100 grains? My son is only 8 and weighs about 60 lbs. Taller skinny kid.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We use 90 grain but it is equivalent to 120 pyrodex.
My 10 year old shooting it only weighs around 65lbs (he's a rail).
Plus, my oldest boy shot his doe with it last year as a 10 year old.

Those guns are so smooth they'll never know they shot it, especially when shooting at a deer.

lung buster

hocking county
My son is 6 and using a .50 Muzzy. He started a couple months ago with one 50 grain pellet pushing a 200 Grain Sabot. He is now up to 70 Grains and doesn't mind it at all. I did add a limbsaver pad on it and put a lb. of lead in the stock. Plus I cut 3 in off the stock to fit him. He will be using a rest due to the weight of the muzzy. His .410 Kicks way more than his muzzy set up. Just a couple more days!