Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I predict...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
An exciting few days for TOO!!! :pickle:

I have been tracking this storm since lunch today trying to decided what to do with my remaining vacation. I have 44 hours left and I need to save 8 for opening day of gun and I'd like to have 12 for December just because. That leaves me 24 hours (3 days) to use for bowhunting. After seeing the hourly forecast for Wednesday morning for the farm and for Indianapolis (gives me an idea of what's behind the storm), I'm convinced the weather will be cooperative Wednesday through Friday for sure, and on in to Saturday if we are lucky.

All things considered with the moon, weather, and reports I heard this weekend, I feel the majority of the does have been bred under the cover of darkness. With high winds (and I know deer will move in the wind, but my sightings have always been to the contrary) and mild temps this past weekend, I would estimate 90% of the reports I have heard (50+ or better) have been negative. The positive reports I have heard, seem to have the same story line that says even the hot action, was very constricted. They predicted a "tight" rut this year and I think that happened except the vast majority of us were not there to see it. There are some talented hunters on here having a rough go at it, I refuse to believe our collective lack of success is related to skill sets...

This front should push through Wednesday around lunch, leaving us with a steady N-NW. I'm gonna ride the morning out in a ground blind while the rain wraps up, then adjust at midday. With the wind directions, I can get on Hippie Ridge and sit on the downwind side of the ridge, with tons of bedding all along it, including my sanctuary. As long as I get those winds, I'll hunt my primary stand up there on Thursday. It's gonna get COLD for a few days with overnight lows of 31, 23, and 34. I expect Friday morning to awesome, so if you have days to use, a long weekend sure looks good!!! :smiley_clap:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good luck Jesse. I honestly feel we have done pretty well overall at TOO this year. Lots of season ahead of us and we haven't even gotten to gun seasons yet.

Personally. I was within 50yds of 2 different shooters this weekend. Just needed a little luck to seal the deal.

Sometimes the weather, work schedules, winds, moon, and Deer Gods just won't align. Part of hunting. There was a lot of success this weekend and I think there will be more this upcoming weekend!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good luck Jesse. I honestly feel we have done pretty well overall at TOO this year. Lots of season ahead of us and we haven't even gotten to gun seasons yet.

Personally. I was within 50yds of 2 different shooters this weekend. Just needed a little luck to seal the deal.

Sometimes the weather, work schedules, winds, moon, and Deer Gods just won't align. Part of hunting. There was a lot of success this weekend and I think there will be more this upcoming weekend!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

Oh no doubt we had a good weekend, but there were a lot of us with nothing going on also. You were in the "minority" for the guys I talked to, especially most of the guys around here. Just my observations. Trying to be optimistic for once...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm excited for this weekend. I will be off Friday-Saturday, and I expect the hunting to be better than it was wed-sun last week. The weather is lookinging better than it has, so I hope that along with the majority of does being bred gets the deer up on their feet. The last time I killed a buck was 2007, so I really need to bust a good buck to boost my morale. I've had close encounters with three different 130" + bucks this year, and I consider that a huge accomplishment for me and the areas I am hunting, I just really want to seal the deal.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm excited for this weekend. I will be off Friday-Saturday, and I expect the hunting to be better than it was wed-sun last week. The weather is lookinging better than it has, so I hope that along with the majority of does being bred gets the deer up on their feet. The last time I killed a buck was 2007, so I really need to bust a good buck to boost my morale. I've had close encounters with three different 130" + bucks this year, and I consider that a huge accomplishment for me and the areas I am hunting, I just really want to seal the deal.

We're gonna kill a couple dandies on Friday morning, then kill the monkeys on our backs while we kill the beers. I'll knock on wood (done) and pray like hell that we can do that this weekend brother. Let's get it done...

Derek j

Knox Co.
I will be hunting every morning and evening this week. Want to try and get the boys back out for another hunt in the blind also. Couldn't hunt today, so I am gonna make up for it the next few says before I start my work week on Friday.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
My kids may just be out there with me this weekend. It looks like Mama is heading out of town to go finish taking care of some things at her Mom's house, so Papa is left playing Mr. Mom. I potentially see a ground blind being filled with two kids packing snacks, leapsters, and Papa with this bow in hand.

epe

Lancaster
We're gonna kill a couple dandies on Friday morning, then kill the monkeys on our backs while we kill the beers. I'll knock on wood (done) and pray like hell that we can do that this weekend brother. Let's get it done...

Friday morning sounds like the kill morning.. So who is going to start the I know something thread?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
On another note... my first class doesn't start til 9:30 and my deer woods is only 10 minutes away... so I may be able to swing a morning hunt on Friday just to join in on the fun. (Thinking outloud)... I could get someone to cover my homeroom... meanwhile I'm in a tree until 9:00... high tail it to my truck... be at my building by 9:20... ready to teach at 9:30 with hat head... Brilliant!

Whaddya think?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
On another note... my first class doesn't start til 9:30 and my deer woods is only 10 minutes away... so I may be able to swing a morning hunt on Friday just to join in on the fun. (Thinking outloud)... I could get someone to cover my homeroom... meanwhile I'm in a tree until 9:00... high tail it to my truck... be at my building by 9:20... ready to teach at 9:30 with hat head... Brilliant!

Whaddya think?

I think it sucks I didn't have teachers like you in HS!!! :smiley_clap: