Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

dissapointing weekend

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I had originally scheduled the 9th through the 15th off work. Due to a lot of financial issues and the fact that I dont get paid vacation, I knew I couldnt afford to take all that time off. I decided to take friday through monday and have a four day hunt.

Friday looked good, I had high hopes due to the cold weather and the fact that I had a good buck pegged. The sit was pretty much uneventful, A smaller buck came in first thing in the morning, and then a doe passed through around 2:00. At dusk the buck I was waiting for came in. a couple grunts got his attention and he came into my set, but the wind had switched direction and he winded me before he could step out from behind a tree at approximately 18 yards.

I returned home that night to find out that the furnace had broke down again. A bearing had gone out of the blower and threw the belt off. So on saturday morning, instead of hitting the woods, I was elbow deep in my furnace getting the blower, motor assembly out. I removed the bearing but couldnt find any place open to get a new one till monday. So I decided to go to a spot to hunt an evening sit where I had found a huge scrape last week and set up a gamera. I wanted to check the card and hunt the rest of the evening. The scrape turned out to be getting made by a forkhorn, a small six, and several does. The sit was just as uneventful as the pics, didnt see anything all evening.

Woke up yeterday to 30 to 40 mph winds, no way I'm going to sit in a tree in that. Got one more day. The plan was to sit the morning, come into town late morning to get the part for the furnace, put it back together, and head back out for an evening sit.

Woke up this morning to a downpour, and gusting winds. Back to bed. So now I'm sitting here, my hunting clothes in the wash, waiting for the supply house to open. My oldest step daughter is in the hospital, having a baby. I feel kinda like an ass for not being there, but I gotta tell ya, I just cant get excited about this. She isnt even 24 yet, lives on assistance, and this is her 4th child. She had an implanted cotraceptive in but had it removed. I am sure she got pregnant intentionaly to get more benefits from the state.

My hope is that by the time I get the furnace back in order, The weather will clear up a little and I can still get out for an evening sit. I dont now if I want get to the woods to kill a deer or to get my thoughts in order. The holidays are coming and we are broke, my mothers 75th birthday is coming up and we are broke, and there is going to be another grandchild here today that I have seriously mixed feelings about. I know it isnt the babys fault, but there are still some major issues and a lot of hard feelings between my daughter and myself.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
...if i can help dante please let me know...

appreciate it, but There really isnt much anybody can do. The daughter is who she is and nobody can change that. The furnace will be fixed today, and there isnt much anyone can do about the weather.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It was a rough weekend all around dude. I don't have a daughter giving me fits, but the deer are doing their best to piss me off. It has to get better!!!

I feel for you pal. Daughters and step daughters, I have three, can drive you up the wall and over the top. I never could understand their choices in life, mostly when it comes to men. But, funny thing is, I have two sisters and I've thought the same about them. Hmm, got me wondering what my wifes brother thinks about me.

Hang in the Dante, hopefully things will improve.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hang in there man. Life can be shitty sometimes. Just plow on through it and times will get better.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Dante, things will get better man. Hopefully the weather and family stuff will improve and then the minor house things won't seem as bad.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wow, here's too things turning around for you man..... damn.... My daughters 19 and has made some bad choices in life but has turned it around in the last year and going too school but you always have that "whens it going too drop again feeling... She's always gotta fix people.... :smiley_confused_vra All you can do is be there for them and explain what did wrong and why they shouldn't of done it.... That's what Fathers do..... Sometimes it clicks and sometimes it takes a long time to get it....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sorry to hear this Dante! Hope things turn around for you. It's seems sometimes when it rains, it comes down in buckets. Stay strong a fight thru it the best you can. Still plenty of good hunting before gun season.