Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Uh Oh!

matt hougan

Dayton area

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well done Matt! I am heading out to try for another her shortly! Don't want Huck to outdo me!

matt hougan

Dayton area
Today we had a small doe come visit. She stepped into a shooting lane at 30yards. Nathan was waiting for her. She stopped and he let it fly...........smack dab into a hanging tree limb. DOH! She scampered off eventually returning and bedding within 80 yards of us for two hours. She finally got up and wandered off. We decided we had a great hunt and climbed down to head home. As we approached the top of the logging road I knocked an arrow since we bumped a deer near the bottom of the hill. I took two steps down the road and there stood that little doe looking at me at 30 yards. I came to full draw and she stood there not sure what we were. I knew when I released the arrow I pulled the shot. I caught her high just infront of the hind leg. She dropped instantly balling and rolling around. Must have hit the spine. Her back legs were gone. We waited 30 minutes and crept over the mound very slowly. She was attempting to crawl away. Nathan took point and from 10 yards administered the coup des gras. His arrow hit high but past through both lungs. She expired within 2 minutes.
although the smallest deer I have ever killed, we are the slightest bit concerned with size. My son got to witness and participate in a deer kill. He got to help field dress and drag the deer. He even learned from that small doe that no matter how bad things loom, never give up. Despite a terrible but mortal wound that deer was still teying to survive.