Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2011 Ohio Buck

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
After getting some permission to hunt some good looking ground in the hilly regions of north central Ohio I made it a point to set a few days aside to bowhunt during prime time. It has always been a dream of mine to hunt big woods and rolling terrain for deer, and this was a prime opportunity. About a month ago I went and did some speed scouting based off some aerial maps and topography that JBrown had recommended. I spent 1 day there and found a spot that I felt would be close to some action and hung a stand and came home with great anticipation. I couldn't wait for the time to get there and hunt. I made it there for the first hunt on Sunday morning the 6th. I saw 5 bucks and 14 does on the very first sit, with 1 buck being a shooter but he stayed just out of range. The evening sit on that first night was magical. I saw several bucks and does and heard a wide range of deer vocalizations, especially lots of grunting. The 2nd morning I was back in the same stand and had good action up until 10 am. I was having a hard time getting the bucks to come down the trail I was hunting over...they were on the seeking phase at this point and they were coming 60 yards uphill from me and going thru a bottleneck between an open hardwoods that was bordered with a thick clearcut and logging road. I had a shooter buck each of the first 2 mornings go right thru that spot. I had seen enough! I went to the truck and brought out another stand and hung it right where the bucks had been cruising. The biggest tree in the area was an 8" diameter tree, but I was able to get about 17 feet up in it. It was surrounded by very thick trees and there were only a couple natural shooting lanes. I had confidence though after seeing how the deer were traveling. I also moved my existing stand to the bottom of a drainage where all the deer seemed to travel the night before on there way to the fields in the evening. I sat there that night (monday) and it wasn't long before I had this nice 8 pointer come by at 4:15.....

I had another small buck come by and a doe, along with a buck chasing a doe that evening, but no shots.

The next morning I was perched in my new stand in the 8" tree at the top of the hill overlooking the overgrown logging road. In the dark I heard 2 different bucks come through grunting. After it got light it took about an hour before I heard or saw any deer. Finally 2 does worked their way over the top of the ridge and went below me. A little later I heard some chasing and eventually saw a doe working her way towards me and just below her was a solid 145" 10 pointer....he walked right below the stand I had hunted the previous 2 mornings! That figures....I move my stand 60 yards and then a dandy walks right by where I have been hunting. That buck gave me a 35-40 yard shot for an instant, but he was so far below me that I didn't feel confident shooting at him since I have no experience in hill country.

About 10 minutes later I hear chasing again coming from the East and at once a doe jumped out and came running directly to me. Her tounge was hanging out and she kept looking behind her. I knew a buck would be coming soon. I got up and grabbed the bow just incase. The doe moved on through the thick stuff and here comes another doe with a buck chasing her and they are coming directly at me just like the previous doe. I saw a tall rack and went into immediate kill mode....I literally had 3 seconds to decide whether or not I was going to shoot. When the buck was 40 yards out and running full speed after that doe I drew the bow and held until he was 10 yards away. I gave him 3 loud "Maaaapppsssssss" and on the 3rd one he stopped in his tracks a mere 4 YARDS from the stand. Before I knew it the arrow had already shot right through him and was sticking in the ground. The buck acted like nothing had happened and he walked about 40 yards and stood there for a minute or 2, then just fell right over dead!

Well, there was a lot of deer running around at the time so I just sat still for a few minutes until things calmed down. A little while later I got down and put my temp tag on the buck and got back in the stand in hopes a doe would come by since it was still somewhat early. It wasn't long and here came a nice doe walking down the trail. She stopped at 8 yards and I couldn't resist shooting her since I had an antlerless tag that needed filled. I waited for her to quarter away and Whack! Shot her right thru the heart and she ran 70 yards and piled up in the middle of some logs.

Normally the story would be over by now, but as I was gathering up my stuff and making a couple of phone calls I heard a deer coming from down below in the thick stuff....here comes out a beautiful 8 pointer probably 140 class and walks right to the doe that is down. He started licking her and pawing at her relentlessly. This went on for 5 minutes or so and I was watching in disbelief. That buck left and I lowered the bow down to the ground. I hear some more noise and look over and here comes another good sized buck and walks right up to her and does the same thing! He even was poking her with his rack trying to make her get up! This went on for a few minutes and he left, but returned again and started all over! I watched in amazement at two fully mature bucks going directly to a dead doe and trying to get her up. I figured she must have been close to being ready. Eventually I got down and started following the blood trail over to where she was and I heard something again! Here comes a small year and a half buck heading right to the dead doe! At this point I was ready to get out of there so I let him see me and he ran off.

It was some of the most amazing whitetail hunting action a guy could imagine, and I only hunted 2-1/2 days. The buck was just a nice 8 pointer and I am glad to have fulfilled a dream of hunting in this type of country.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Way to go Gern. The hills make the deciision process a lot quicker and exciting, especially when you can hear them way before you see them..

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Awesome write up Chad. Glad you enjoyed your trip to hill country. I hope you are able to do it again next year and get another big buck.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Awesome write up Chad! Sounds like the shit was really happening where you were! There was definitely a hot doe or does in close proximity of where you were, Great shot placement on both kills! Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Congrats Gern!! Great read and pics of that buck. He's a good one for sure! Sounds like you definitiely timed your trip right with lots of action going on.