Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My 2011 Buck

RUT NUT

Shot this guy on 11-1-11. A 30 yard broadside shot. The RAGE did its job once again! Sorry for posting the same pic twice. I have no idea how that happened! Haha!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321119523.052736.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321119523.052736.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 199
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321123879.489074.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321123879.489074.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

RUT NUT

Wow!! Hell of a buck. Congrats. What's the story behind him?

This is going to be a little long but please bare with. This is my 5th year of hunting and I have only shot one buck. Heck....I've only shot at one buck! After taking my first buck just to get the feel....I had decided that I only wanted to take mature deer from here on out. I wanted to be one of those guys who shot BIG deer. I realized at that time that you have to let small ones walk to shoot big ones. That's what I have done. It has caused me to eat tag soup three years in a row. I'm a religious guy who prays before each hunt and doesn't get disappointed if it doesn't turn out the way I would like it to. A safe hunt is a successful hunt! I have been running my cam all year and have got pics of good bucks. One that I hunted last year but never did get a crack at. He became the most wanted for 2011. We had history. I haven't got any mature bucks on camera during daylight hours which has killed my drive to hunt. Over this past weekend I decided that I love to hunt and just being out in God's creations was enough for me. I thought about my first hunt of the year all day today while at work. I couldn't wait until 2:00! Once 2:00 rolled around and I clocked out and got outside....I was a little disappointed. It was warmer then I would have liked it to be for my first hunt of the year. Once I got to the house I decided to check my camera to see if it was going to be worth my time. As I was clicking through pictures I noticed that I had not seen Big Boy yet. This was weird because he was coming by every night. As I continued to click I noticed a buck that I had not yet had pictures of. Not a shooter....but a very nice deer that told me they were starting to move and check does. A couple more clicks and my jaw hit the keyboard of my lap top! A very wide buck that I hadn't had pictures of until this point. It was a night time pic....but enough to put me in overdrive to the stand! As I got settled in my stand (3:30) I kept checking the time on my phone because I had been getting pictures around 4:00 dang near every day. Mostly does and a few young bucks. 4:15 approached....nothing. 4:30 approached....nothing. 4:45 approached....NOTHING! I was beginning to wonder if I made a mistake to hunt. 5:00 rolls around and I noticed movement to my left. Dead down wind of me! It was three does working their way my way. I decided to stand up just in case something was following. That was the best decision I ever made! After I stood up I looked back to my left to make sure none of them picked me off. When I looked over all I could see was RACK! I began to have a seizure which lasted 40 minutes! The does made their way in front and past my stand. I slowly looked back to see of he was following. He did....for about ten yards! Then he did what we all pray doesn't happen. He looks right at me! As he stood there lifeless for a second....he suddenly put his nose in the air trying to wind me. I decided to take my eye off of him and concentrate on the does. Mainly so I could try to calm down the BUCK FEVER! As I watched the does I could hear a few crunches in the leaves getting closer. After about 15 crunches I decided to look over and see how close he was. Boy did I get a surprise when I looked over! It was a small six point! At this time I was questioning wether or not I really saw a big buck. The small six quickly headed for the does scaring them off. He stopped once they took off and then I began to hear more crunching to my left. I knew it had to be the big buck I saw so I told myself to wait until he came into my sight. No more turning of the head! A couple more crunches and he was now in my sight. He wasn't following the same trail that the does and the small six took. Instead he decided to take the high trail which is 30 yards from my stand. By this point I am in panic mode! I'm comfortable with a 30 yard shot....just not shaking the way I was! As he walked he got behind a cluster of trees and I drew my bow. As soon as he stepped out from behind that cluster I let my RAGE fly! Shwap! I hit him a little far back but I was confident the RAGE would do its job. He made a sudden 15 yard dash and then came to a halt! From there he walked slowly along the ridge and out of my site. After calling the old man and my best friend I started my climb down. Shaky climb that is! Once I got to the ground I headed straight to the house to give him time and to meet my dad and best friend. After about 45 minutes of replaying what had just happened we decided to start the track. 30 minutes along a small blood trail about 140 yards long led me to this! A buck I have only dreamed about! God bless you for reading this story and good luck to you on the rest of your season! He was a stinkin ruttin mess....so get out there and hit it hard! And how about a date of 11-1-11? Not a hard one to remember! Haha!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That's a great read Rut Nut!! I think anybody would've been shakin' like crazy with a buck like that in bow range. Congrats again on putting it all together and making the shot. Hell of a deer!!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Absolute brute Rut Nut. Congrats on a true buck of a lifetime. Enjoyed the read also, made me feel like I was right there with you.

Any idea on what he scored?

RUT NUT

Absolute brute Rut Nut. Congrats on a true buck of a lifetime. Enjoyed the read also, made me feel like I was right there with you.

Any idea on what he scored?

Rough scored, after deductions in the mid 160's. The only thing i put tape on was the inside spread (22 1/2 inches) and the G3 on his left side(13 inches) I'll have an official score once the 60 day drying period passes.