Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Rut/Lockdown/Full Moon= SLOW Movement

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This is what's going on around me and apparently a majority of the state.IMO

The big ones are locked in and on the hot doe and some of the subordinates are hanging near by them and the few that are tired of getting run off by the big boy get fed up and start cruising around checking scrapes and the other does. Most movement is at night because of the FM and the wind has also slowed things down a bit but we have to stay at it. Once these does get bred and the fullness of the moon start to wane the big boys will be on the move again.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I will be hunting all day Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. It has to break loose after this front blows through Tuesday. It will be cold, calm, and the moon will have mellowed out some. I fully expect those three days to be much better...

In the places I have been sitting, either visually or audibly, I should be seeing signs of the rut and that's just not happening. I can easily see 20 acres of thicket and creek bottom from here. The spot I am in right now is a thicket between a creek bottom and ridge top. The wind is swirling where I am on the shelf, but it's relatively calm. You can tell how windy it would be on the ridge where I normally hunt and it's way calmer here. With the amount of trails and the terrain here, I have no doubts I can kill a mature buck from this tree. I have good access, decent wind direction 80% of the time, and great cover. Now where are the deer?

They have got to be on neighboring farms locked down, or holed up and not moving during daylight. I out smarted the elements, but the deer still have the upper hand. Before long, it'll be time to search again and I plan on being there to see it...

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
I saw great movement yesterday on my place in SE Ohio. Read my story in rut reports. I also pulled my cameras yesterday and have been getting decent buck movement throughout the day with several shooter bucks at high noon scent checking my food plots.

As I type this though my buddyu texted me saying he is watching a doe bedded in the middle of an open bean field with a buck standing over her. This is in SW Ohio though......

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Slow week in Central & Eastern Ohio for me too. Seeing few deer, and the only one moving during daylight have been younger bucks and younger does. Same reports for all of the other guys at deer camp as well.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Since Thursday there was 2a fawns with seeing around by themselves. No bucks at all except smaller ones. Tonight got reports of a couple good ones up and around. I hope this is a sight of things picking back up.