Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A deer story

Milo

Tatonka guide.
the day started off clear, cool and moon lit as I entered into the thicket I would call home for most of the day. My path was greeted with slippery moss laden creek rocks, dampened leaves and deer snorts. The days plan was to setup on the edge of the thicket to see what I could catch moving about. The area is a recent logging cut with some pole timber remaining. The remaining vegetation is found its way to the 6 foot high mark choked with treetops and saplings. As the sun began its ascent the winds made me wish my base layers were not already damp. the chill of mixing wind directions made me second guess my original stand position. The decision was made to move into the cut providing multiple shooting opportunities that limit access paths the deer generally chose. I arrived at a tree destine to be my perch. The morning winds seemingly endless struggle to over power each other made the morning sit uneventful deer wise. I was an eager witness to a hord of feeding bluebirds seeking what remains of the weed seeds and bugs. For the first time i can remember in my life the bluebirds were too numerous to count. i passed the morning watching their interactions and playfulness as the chased each other through intertwining branches and brush. The incessant tapping of woodpeckers was only interrupted by the "wheating" of wood ducks that frequent the abundant food in the stream nearby. It was truly a good day to be alive deer or no deer. In the sky above the buzzard appeared to be grouping up for their annual pilgrimage south for the winter. They spent the day in the sycamore tree tops seemingly gaining strength from the suns rays. 3 tom turkeys were the only ground visitors that morning as a planned my spring attack for their iridescent feathers and blood stained noggins....it was decided by a strong majority vote that this hunter needed a break around 11am.....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
The Afternoon.........

upon my hasty return to the tree, reinforced with some additional clothing layers, the morning creatures began to return to their daily activities. I decided a cap nap was in order and proceeded to try to sleep the effects of the winds off. by 2 pm it appeared the worst of the winds had come. the tree gently rocked my stand and myself to sleep. Awaking after by brief interlude...I notice a couple of squirrels "partaking in natures delights" besides me and giving me the "what you looking at look?" well I for one thought squirrels only buried their nuts under ground but I was surprisingly proved wrong today:pickle:... time to move on.... some movement caught my eye as a woodchuck cleaned the forest floor of leaves for what is to be sure a long winters nap. The temptation to pilfer the vermin was great but at 20 bucks an arrow i saved my wallet from another pillage. The westerly winds had finally won over the southerly winds for control of the area. The day drew on and the bluebirds continued their assault on the wilting vegetation until movement was spotted at 4pm in the distant wood line. 7 doe made their way on my upwind side at a hurried pace. playfully bounding about like school children, they bound by my first stand position as i second guessed current selection. No buck in tow? how can this be? Amiss with frustration, I muttered a few curse words as I doubtfully wondered what the rest of the evening would bring. at 5pm i decided i had better stretch my legs for the long sit had caused some leg stiffness and i needed to be loose to use my climber. I stood for a few minutes until a heard a crash behind me..........

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
5pm..........

The monotony of almost 10 hours in the stand was now a distant memory as a doe fearing the natural events that were about to be unleashed on her crashed through the thicket. The hide and seek game is one game i so enjoy this time of year. In tow was a decent 8 point trying to find his finish line. The chase was on.... only to be rudely interupted by a young 6 point...The doe at one pointed stopped to pee and further exciting the bucks upon their scent scanning . The game unfolded when the doe lost both of them in the tangle but she spied evil in the trees..Her concern with the blob was overcome by 2 suiters eagerly seeking her company. She dove off the shelf into a wash and skirted my stand and dashed her suiters frantic search. At that moment I was for sure both bucks would bail off the shelf and into the wash. the larger of the bucks finally spotted her retreat and walked the ridge line keeping close tabs on his mistress until.........

Last edited:
Milo,
You are quite the writer, my friend! :smiley_bril: Excellent story lines and the descriptives allow the reader(s) to see what you've seen. :smiley_clap:

This is why I hunt...and why we should be greatful to be free, alive and in good health.

Bowhunter57

Milo

Tatonka guide.

A hasty dash to escape was cut short by deflated lungs. I watched as he crashed into the creek bottom and the day closed on this buck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
thanks everyone... diablo, i wanted to try to write it as i saw it and so it is aptly named. there are bigger, better bucks there but so much happened that day this made a fitting end to it. it was an adventure from start to beginning and ended much better than I thought. its the story that is important to me not so much how it ends. I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday even though this is not my biggest buck. I wish I had a camera with me to take some pics but that will be further down the road. the venison will be a welcome addition to the freezer.