Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This Morning's hunt

Diablo54

Outside
This morning I setup in a spot that my uncle hunts alot durring the rut. I sat for awhile watching squirrels and texting. Around 9 my buddy texted me saying that he was gona get down. I texted back and said "It's the rut! it only takes 30 seconds for that big boy to cruise through." I put my phone down and looked down the hill. I could see rack. I pulled up my binocs and saw he was a shooter so I grabbed my bow. I watched him work a scrape and come in head on until he got to 8 yards. He turned broadside,So I told myself pick a spot and Bend at the waist. I let the arrow fly and my first thought was spine. But he didn't drop. I could see my arrow sticking out high on the other side as well which didn't make much since to me considering the angle the buck was at. The buck ran through the woods smacking my arrow off of alot of things on the way. I called Dad and then stayed in the tree for a half hour watching a 110 inch 6pt at 15 yards. I snuck back out and around the long way to be sure not to spook him. I was very unsure of the shot and it made no since to me. I went home and met up with Moundhill to track his doe. We were succsessfull with that. When I got home dad was just getting home from work. We decided he would get ready and we would take up the trail. We slipped up the hill around 2:30. We got to the shot site to find nothing. No hair no blood not even messed up leaves.. It made no since. We tracked where I watched him run for 50 yards or so to find nothing. We made circles looking for blood,an arrow or the deer. To find nothing. We searcher till 5:30 doing circles and checking creeks. Im dumbfounded. I don't know how you can stick an arrow through a deer and have it not drop a bit of blood.:smiley_blackeye:

saddlepants

central Ohio
Oh sorry. But I do, I shot a doe once and watched her run across the field and into the woods goin up a hill other side. Thought I heard her crash but not sure. Looked all over and found nothing. Nothing. finally my ex said he was leavin to go get the quad and pick me up. I swore that doe had to be just inside those woods somewhere. I watched her run with that arrow deep in her side. At the fence line i found a speck of blood and I mean no bigger than a freckle and that was it. My ex said to NOT go over that fence (unpermissioned property). I couldnt stand it. As soon as he left I went over and there she was in the woodline. The arrow went in her top down and poked through the belly but the intestine had came through and plugged the hole. Other hole on top. So no blood...on the outside. She bled internally and didnt go 60 yards. If the hole is on top - thats what happened. That really sucks. Thats what happened with my buck I shot this year, High shots dont bleed OUT well at all.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yep, they either bleed internally or you have to wait until a little blood runs out and slowly drips down the fur to the belly then on the ground. My buck last year was a high hit and I didn't find blood forever. And it was a pass through. Same thing, exit hole plugged up.
I feel for ya brother...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Road trip for that dude that is in Cincy? That would be a heck of a haul for Phil. Of course, they need blood to start.

Diablo54

Outside
After the shot I watched him run down a trail for 50 yards. Then when I lost sight he was nockind down sapplings and limbs with every step. It makes no since to me how we cant find an arrow or anything. The arrow was sticking out on both sides, it should have broke off at somepoint.