Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A creative use of tomato stakes

matt hougan

Dayton area
Smoke poles........bwahaaaahhhhhaaaaaahhhhhaaaaa

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I forgot that deer spook when you use maple. Silly me!

Very creative and will work in a pinch... But brother there is a far easier way... But i have to admire the creativity. :) As for the maple... It'll work.. It just doesn't contain the same amounts of chemicals that hardwoods do. So more is required to achieve the level of smokiness.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Very creative and will work in a pinch... But brother there is a far easier way... But i have to admire the creativity. :) As for the maple... It'll work.. It just doesn't contain the same amounts of chemicals that hardwoods do. So more is required to achieve the level of smokiness.

I did not know this. I have been using Maple with great success, but I do smoke before every trip out there pretty heavily. I may have to break down and spend 3 bucks at walmart next time for some oak chips

Kujo

Maumee, OH
I have been using maple ae well. I know the scent smoker comes with hickory chips, but I though any hard wood smoke would work.

How would you rank the top few types of wood you smoke your clothes with????

p.s. tomatoe cages work, I use an extra ground blind and lay everything on some chairs, set the smoker inside, and seal it up.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have been using maple ae well. I know the scent smoker comes with hickory chips, but I though any hard wood smoke would work.

How would you rank the top few types of wood you smoke your clothes with????

p.s. tomatoe cages work, I use an extra ground blind and lay everything on some chairs, set the smoker inside, and seal it up.

Maple isn't really a hardwood, unless you're talking hard maple and not sugar or silver. But even then it doesn't compare to hardwoods like oak, hickory, apple, or cherry.. There is actually science behind why this smoke stuff works guys.. Two compounds that you want and what makes this whole thing tick is Lignen and Phenolic compounds. These are found in hardwood species. And in much lower concentrations or not at all in softer woods. While you will still smell like smoke.. You are missing the other 50% of the equation and IMO the most important. That antibacterial and antimicrobial compounds used to kill odor causing bacteria.

Here is an excerpt from
Napoleon's buttons: 17 molecules that changed history

indepth.jpg

So it goes without saying that the harder the wood the higher concentration of the chemical compounds we are looking for and that makes smoke not only a great cover scent, but also an odor causing bacteria eliminator.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's squirrels though... Lol. As many as ive had around my stands over the years I don't think they can smell too well. That or they don't utilize it as a defensive danger detector. Squirrels are more sight and sound.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Shit. I used leaves the day that squirrel was inches from my face

This is what I did when I first started to use smoke as a cover scent. I was skeptical about it so I didn't want to spend money on a smoker so I just jerry rigged one out of a coffee can and used leaves