Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Slug barrel or Slug Gun?

I have a Mossberg 500 Turkey Special, that I use for HD and coyotes. I've considered getting a rifled cantalever slug barrel for it. However, for the same money (or a little less), I could get a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter and a small scope or red dot on it.

* Ultra Slug Hunter?
* Rifled Cantalever Barrel?

Which way would you go? ...and why?
Thank you, Bowhunter57

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have a Mossberg 500 Turkey Special, that I use for HD and coyotes. I've considered getting a rifled cantalever slug barrel for it. However, for the same money (or a little less), I could get a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter and a small scope or red dot on it.

* Ultra Slug Hunter?
* Rifled Cantalever Barrel?

Which way would you go? ...and why?
Thank you, Bowhunter57

Once you get the slug gun sighted in it pretty much is set... Cheaper in the long run as well.... Go with the slug gun....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A Mossberg 695 slug gun or a Browning A-Bolt slug gun would be great options, too... bolt-action sluggers are pretty bad ass, IMO.

That being said, I think your decision between the cantilever barrel and the H&R depends on what you want to do with it. The H&R would probably be more accurate than the pump, but you'd only have a single shot. I've seen some guys reload a single-shot pretty damn quick, though. You could make the pump gun more accurate by pinning the barrel, but then that would take it out of commission as a turkeyslayer. My thoughts... If you hunt mainly from a stand with longer shots, go with the H&R ultra slug... If you do a lot of walking or pushing, go with the cantilever barrel.

Thanks for the suggested muzzleloader options, but I've had my share of them and don't care for the smokepole option. :smiley_depressive:

I've been leaning towards the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter, due to other's statements of their accuracy. It'd be very simular to a muzzleloader, but quicker to reload and much much easier to clean. :smiley_blink: Gander Mtn. has them on sale for $159.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe..._Shot_12_Gauge_Shotgun&aID=510D5&merchID=4006

Bowhunter57

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
20 or 12 ga? I would get a good scope on it, optics mean a lot when it comes too accuracy.... For some reason I always thought they were heavier then 5.25 lbs... My buddy had one and it was a heavy little buggar as I remember it.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Try a 10 gauge. Mine was a fuggin beast. At least it was a H&R long barrel.

Why???? My brother and his buddy where sighting in their shot guns for turkey season years ago... The 835 in 10 ga was just out and they were shooting it with 3 1/2" loads.... Looked like they were in a bar fight the way their cheeks were all puffed up and I swear his buddy had a black eye the next day rotflmao

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Bow57, i year ago i bought a savage 220 bolt slugger and i can tell you they are VERY accurate. i was very surprised. it is a very load specific gun and for me it shoot the Remington accutips the best. its got easy 150 yard accuracy. recoil is much better than most slug guns and the combo ( scope, mounts and base)can be had for around 500 or so if you look into cabelas. Wont be shooting any other slug gun for quite some time.

Lundy

For some reason I always thought they were heavier then 5.25 lbs... My buddy had one and it was a heavy little buggar as I remember it.....

The Ultra Slug hunter is heavier, they weigh over 8 lbs in 12 or 20.

The gun shown in the Gander link is the Ultra Light Slug Hunter or some special run just for Gander, and at 5-1/4 pds it will light up your world in 12 gauge for sure.

I have a Ultra Slugster in both 12 and 20, both are extremely accurate and heavy, felt recoil is not a issue and is in fact less than any pump gun. Just as a result of gun weight.

I think you have been given great advice. Purchase the gun that suits how you hunt. If you are stand hunter I know you would like the H&R Ultra (The heavy one) if you do a lot of walking you will appreciate the lighter weight of the pump. The accuracy from the H&R will be very difficult for any pump to duplicate.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp

Good luck

Last edited: