Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Youth gun and the rut?

epe

Lancaster
Has anyone been out during the youth hunt weekend and still seen rutting activities? Looks like the 18th will be the earliest I can make it out again. I do not think there will be any youths around this property.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have. It actually makes for decent hunting because the youth hunters get the deer moving. If its real cold, plan to sit until midday so when they all leave, you'll catch the deer getting the hell out of Dodge!!!

Huckleberry Finn

I had the enjoyment of hunting youth season as a guide 2 years back. It really is the first morning of "What the fugg was that" for some deer and for others, its "Awww shit not this again".

Normally it's also the Saturday of the OSU/M!ch!g@n game which pushes a lot of hunters out of the woods. However, it's Penn State at 330 on that day.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've seen them chasing hard during the regular gun season, let alone the youth season. It all depends on the year, man... Some years it seems like the rut is a month long... others it seems like it's gone as soon as it arrived. Just get out there and hunt it. At the very least, there'll be extra bodies in the woods pushing deer around.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yep, youth gun season is a good time to be out with either a youngin or a bow in hand wearing friggin hunter orange.....

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I had the enjoyment of hunting youth season as a guide 2 years back. It really is the first morning of "What the fugg was that" for some deer and for others, its "Awww shit not this again".

Normally it's also the Saturday of the OSU/M!ch!g@n game which pushes a lot of hunters out of the woods. However, it's Penn State at 330 on that day.

Was you pushing the wheelchair???

JPN

coshocton
Yep last year I took my sister out and and we had a nice 8 chasing does all over...unfotunately she missed him tho.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I shot my first buck in NY 2 years ago during their gun openning weekend (3rd weekend in Nov). He was chassing a doe. I was about to shoot her when I heard the grunts coming. I believe this is the same weekend as the OH youth weekend.