Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Are bigger deer's snorts different?

epe

Lancaster
Well I am sitting here trying to get comfortable in my stand when a deer snorts up the hillside about 110 yards away. Don't know how he could have seen me move, since the sun is out I can hardly see 40 yards thru the woods with the shadows. But anyhow. The deer's snort sounder deeper- different. When it reached a clear spot I could see a big tail and hindquarter on it. Big bodied whatever it was. Has anyone noticed that big bucks sound different? Lord I hope not.. I am hoping it was just a big old doe.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I had a buck snort twice Sunday after hearing my can call and not seeing a doe. I had one a few years ago snort at my decoy, like really bad and loud.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Although I've only been deer hunting for 4 years now, I'm (sadly to say) extremely familiar with this sound, and I gotta say, I've not noticed a whole lot of difference in the sound.
Lots of time I don't see what's blowin (either it's dark or they're out of sight), so I can't go by body size, but they all sound pretty much the same to me.

Now grunts are a different story...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm willing to bet it was a doe snorting, and not a buck. During this time of year when bucks are harrassing them, does will often snort for what seems to be no apparent reason. While I was out this past weekend, I had a doe snort about a dozen times at a buck that was giving her grief. She never ran away, never flagged... just snorted out of the blue.

They probably weren't even snorting at you, Epe.

epe

Lancaster
This one put tail up and went up the hill stopped for a couple minutes then let out the deep snort and walked off from what I could tell.

epe

Lancaster
Dad is hunting the same stand I was this morning. Said he had a big buck come thru right at orbefore shooting light. Good mass, just could not his sight. Said the deer went over to the same spot from before and snorted.. The wind never blows over there...