Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

From lowest to highest.....my day!

Derek j

Knox Co.
My day started out pretty good, I got to go out to the woods, climb a tree, and pray that a good buck would come my way. I sat in the tree until around 11 and, without seeing anything, decided it was a good time to go get a bite to eat and re-group. So I climbed down and headed to the back of my property to do a little scouting mission. As I was walking back, I spot a buck jump up and run off about 15 yds. I was stuck in the trail with no cover. I grunted a few times and stopped him. I crouched down and started going over a game plan as he started my way. As he was milling around, a smaller 6 pt walks directly up the trail and stops 40 yds from me. I figure that this little guy is gonna blow everything for me.....he's gonna start stomping and blowing and spook the big boy. But as luck would have it, he just continues away from me, so now I can concentrate on the big guy.
About this time is where the day goes to its lowest point. This buck finally starts walking to my trail, parallel with me at 30 yds. He is walking by some brush which conceals me, so I draw my bow and wait for him to get into the trail. He gets 30 yds broadside and then spots me. He instantly blows, but stays there. I release my arrow at the same time he blows, which may have caused me to flinch or jump....I don't know. But between me mis-judging yardage and him dropping down, I shoot just over his back, literally shaving hair off him. He runs back to the doe he was bedded with, and leaves me scratching my head. So I head to the truck and get food.....but the story isn't over yet!!

I get back out to the woods at 1pm. Find a good tree not 10 yds from where I missed the big boy. I sit there until 4, when I hear some deer running towards me. I see that there are 2 bucks chasing a doe. She stops, and they do the same....as she finally starts moving towards me, the biggest of the 2 bucks stays right on her heels. He comes within range and I give him a BAAAA.....and another......and another. He just won't stop. Finally I go for broke and holler......HEY!!!! He stops long enough to get my shot off. At this point he was quartering to me slightly. My shot is a little far back, but I get a clean pass thru. I had to stop him again with a baaaa to keep him from running into the neighbors. He runs off 40 yds and lays down. I figured I got a liver shot, so it may take some time for him to expire. I watch him as he tries to get up 2 or 3 times, just to lay back down again. He is behind some brush, so I can't put another shot in him. He died about 10 minutes later. My best buck to date!!! And now team #4 has their first buck on the ground!!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1320718265366.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1320718265366.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 156

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Congrats on your biggest to date Derek. That has got some good character with that split brow. :smiley_coolpeace:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Good story Derek, way to stick with it!
I'm likin the color on him....and I thought it was cool how you thought to stop him from running off the property...good thinkin...good story man