Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

There is a first time for everything.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
But Lord why did you have to make it this time.... Shot a big 12 this morning at 7:15 following a doe... Hit a limb and gut shot him... Sighhhh... First gut shot in 6 years of bowhunting.

He ran down in a hollow behind me. At the mouth to my right is a very busy road. The top a bowl and maybe 120 yards from ridge to ridge.. I never saw him leave it after the shot as I can see everything but the bottom and the slope on my side.

I'm still in the stand watching. I'm in a stand Jd put me in and someone that also hunts here put corn out infront of it... I'm almost out of shit to throw at does and spikes coming for a bite.. I don't want them in this hollow behind me so I'm gently soooking them away. I threw an unopened rice krispy treat at a spike. It wasn't loud enough to spook him.. He walked over. Sniffed it and tried to eat it... Fugger.. Lmao.

Looks like a damn yard sale out here. Pretty soon I'm gonna be wearing just my release. Lmao.

Huckleberry Finn

How many doe tags are you carrying? I feel like it's going to be a bloodbath by the afternoon if you're stuck in the stand...

Good luck!

twireman

Kingston, OH
Hoping for the best Joe...time is your friend and hopefully he beds up within 1-200 yards and expires. Good luck finding him man!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't think he has left this hollow behind me. Unless I missed him going up the other side right after the shot. But I don't think so. I could see his rack coming 150 yards through the woods at 7:15..

About a 30 yard shot. He spun when the arrow hit the limb and I saw the tracer hit him mid gut.. Unsure of the exit as he was spinning around.. If he would have stood still I would have missed. He went over the hill tail down... I could hear leaves rustle a couple times down there the first hour... Then at about 1.5 hours I could hear either a squirrel dashing through the leaves. Or him hopefully doing death kicks..

Haven't left the stand and won't even go look at my arrow as its right on the edge of that ridge.. Prolly sit here till 1 which will be 6 hours since the shot.. No way out as he went the way I need to go.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How many doe tags are you carrying? I feel like it's going to be a bloodbath by the afternoon if you're stuck in the stand...

Good luck!

None.. Lol.. That's why I'm throwing stuff at them to make them go back the other direction away from this hollow. I've thrown my empty dip can, grunt call, amp energy can, rice krispy treat, wadded up pair of gloves, and a spit bottle.. I still have a 20 ounce soda, and my headlamp before I have to start throwing boots.

As for mu doe tags, I don't carry them so I'm not tempted to shoot one..

epe

Lancaster
Good luck man. Hopefully that was him you heard expire. Hope you have some good games on your phone.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
You are a patient man Joe, but also smart. Sitting tight is the best thing you could do. Hoping for the best. Keep us updated.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Best of Luck Joe. At least it's a nice day out there and you are having some fun with the other deer. Hope you find him.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Good luck, hopefully he spun the right direction. Do you know if it was a pass thru?

Don't know. The arrow would have gone over the edge of the ridge if it was a pass through. Pretty sure he spun the right way for the exit to be more forward. But who knows as he was really on a tilt a whirl. The arrow could have done anything.. I've seen good entry hits exit some funky places when a deer spins. Fingers crossed. Two more hours to wait. Gonna do this one by the book.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I appreciate it guys. Everyone says how sickening a feeling it is.. I think yall underestimated it.. My stomach is in knots.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
There is absolutely no way to sneak out a different way, even if it means calling someone for a ride or walking forever to do it. I feel for you, hopefully he is laying right there.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I am still laughing...with a picture of a spike eating a rice krispie cake and Joe in the tree about to give it a soda to wash it down with...but in all seriousness, way to play it smart and be able to sit there long enough so you don't bump that deer...I'm sending positive thoughts your way and hopefully we'll all get to see your trophy!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Joe, here's hoping a good ending too your situation.... I'm back in for the morning and heading back out in a few.... I'm staying tuned for a great outcome.... Wish I was closer too help you brother but just know we're all thinking good thoughts.....