Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What do you shoot and why?

Thought this might be an interesting thread. :smiley_chinrub:

What: I shoot a Martin Cheetah, 30" A to A, single cam @ 52#. It has all the other "high tech" accessories, like a fiber optic sight, QAD LD drop-away rest, string loop and a Tru-Ball wrist release. Aero-Dynamics Nitro Stinger carbon arrows w/ 3" vanes and 100gr. tips.

Why: I like the "pin point" accuracy that it provides...at all distances, that I shoot it.

I'd like to get back into the traditional game again, due to the simplicity of that world. Different reasons, likes and dislikes, but I like both for their differences and methods. :smiley_blink:

How about you?
What do you shoot and why?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I shoot a Fred Bear Element with some other accessories I can't list. I shoot this bow because it still kills deer.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I have a Fred Bear lights Out, i got it 2 yrs ago. It's been a great reliable bow other than the string. It's smooth, has great letoff and pretty light. Also, I'd much rather shoot a Fred Bear than something really common like Hoyt ot Mathews.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Mathews LX. Bought it a long time ago. Nothing has been much better performance (overall) wise so I haven't changed. 436 grain arrow going around 280ish. No need to change when considering a new bow price.

Going to get a new 3d bow for spring though and re-doing the OX also.

Derek j

Knox Co.
Hoyt vectrix for me. Just fell in love with everything about the bow. It shoots true and straight, and kills deer.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I shoot a PSE Deerhunter...It has an Aries 3-pin sight, whisker biscuit rest, d-loop, string silencers, tru-fire release and I have to use an armguard (which I don't care for, but it's better than string slap)...I purchased it as a field ready combo and it was my way of getting into archery and having more opportunities to hunt deer the entire season...It originally came with XX75 aluminum arrows, tru-glow 3 pin sight and a 2 prong rest...I have since added the whisker biscuit, aries sight and flatline arrows (340)...

I still shoot it cuz I just can't spend the money to get a newer parallel limb bow (but I really want to upgrade anyway)...all I've done with this bow is killed one cheap block target from walmart, some newspaper and put some holes in a 3d deer target...I just enjoy shooting a bow I guess...I know there are smoother drawing bows, with better draw cycles and letdowns than this bow...but I will kill a deer with this bow before I get a new one...that's just the way it's going to be for me.

Huckleberry Finn

Matthews Switchback.

I couldn't say no to a good deal and to upgrade to a better bow. I love it. I bowhunt because it allows me to expand my season and hunt during natural movements.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Strother Infinity. because it is the quietest hunting bow i have ever been around....and the fastest.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I shoot a PSE Deerhunter...It has an Aries 3-pin sight, whisker biscuit rest, d-loop, string silencers, tru-fire release and I have to use an armguard (which I don't care for, but it's better than string slap)...I purchased it as a field ready combo and it was my way of getting into archery and having more opportunities to hunt deer the entire season...It originally came with XX75 aluminum arrows, tru-glow 3 pin sight and a 2 prong rest...I have since added the whisker biscuit, aries sight and flatline arrows (340)...

I still shoot it cuz I just can't spend the money to get a newer parallel limb bow (but I really want to upgrade anyway)...all I've done with this bow is killed one cheap block target from walmart, some newspaper and put some holes in a 3d deer target...I just enjoy shooting a bow I guess...I know there are smoother drawing bows, with better draw cycles and letdowns than this bow...but I will kill a deer with this bow before I get a new one...that's just the way it's going to be for me.

I know exactly what you're talking about brother! I use my Horton xbow right now while hunting, and have an old compound that I'm practicing with but just haven't got consistent enough to hunt with yet. I will NOT buy a new compound until I get good with and kill something with the old one. By then I might not be able to pull it back :smiley_depressive:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I know exactly what you're talking about brother! I use my Horton xbow right now while hunting, and have an old compound that I'm practicing with but just haven't got consistent enough to hunt with yet. I will NOT buy a new compound until I get good with and kill something with the old one. By then I might not be able to pull it back :smiley_depressive:

Give me a couple of work sessions and you will be ready for a new bow by next season....bacon eaters promise

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
that's actually my plan Milo although I hadn't asked yet....right now the emphasis is on chasin and killin them brown lovelies....but I'll be roadtrippin to Skeeter Creek in my not too distant future:smiley_coolpeace:

Then it'll be a new compound...
Then it'll be a recurve....
Then it'll be a spear....
Then it'll be a sling and a rock.....
All a part of my reverse-caveman progression....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i will get some center cut thawin my friend and have you going in no time..

Milo

Tatonka guide.
that's actually my plan Milo although I hadn't asked yet....right now the emphasis is on chasin and killin them brown lovelies....but I'll be roadtrippin to Skeeter Creek in my not too distant future:smiley_coolpeace:

Then it'll be a new compound...
Then it'll be a recurve....
Then it'll be a spear....
Then it'll be a sling and a rock.....
All a part of my reverse-caveman progression...
THIS is the true beauty of this sport...You can take it to so many levels its not funny. I would love to spear a deer..that would be unbelievable..could have speared 3 already this year. The beauty of archery is the progression you can take from top to bottom and back to top. Maybe you can even build a bow some day!

2010 Elite Z28,Hot shot 3 finger tempest release,whisker biscuit rest,4 pin extreme RT900,dead center archery products 8inch pro hunter stab,vortex rotating quiver,Gold tip pro hunter shafts,predator vanes an 100 grain slick trick magnums...I shoot it cause it I like it, i shoot it well an got a smoking deal on it..

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
2007 Mathews Switchback XT
Fuse 6" stalizer
QAD Ultra-Rest HD
Bohning Lynx 6-arrow quiver
Extreme 452x custom string/cables...
Specialty Archery Super-Peep with 1/8" aperture...
Viper microTune sight with 4 lime green .019" pins and sun shade...

Shooting 28.5" 390 grain Easton Flatlines tipped with 100 grain Slick Trick Magnums at 290 fps. Turning things loose with a Stanislawski Shootoff Quattro...

I bought the XT in March of 2007 after shooting a bunch of different bows. In 2000, I shot my first Mathews and fell in love with it. Over the next few years, I grew to hate the "Mathews Country Club" kind of mentality that seemed to go with owning one. I was hell bent on not owning a Mathews, then I shot the XT. Over the years, I have shot dozens and dozens of different models of bows from at least 10 manufacturers. IMHO, the XT is one of, if not the single best shooting bow ever made for bowhunters. You will be hard pressed to find a bow with a smoother draw and more shootability than the XT. I have been tempted to buy a new bow the past few seasons and cannot bring myself to do so. I was always unhappy with the performance of the bow when I was shooting 431 grain ST Axis' at 265-270 fps. After making the change to the Flatlines this summer, I have squashed that fear and unhappiness. I have a 30" draw and shoot 70 pounds, so I like to get the max performance out of my bow with those specs. I feel I'm getting that from the XT now and it will be hard to get me to stop shooting it!!!