Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Here ya go Cotty...my 2011 buck

Well since I was called a TOO creeper the other day by Cotty I guess I should make a post. I haven't had a lot of time as of lately to comment or make many posts. I have been averaging 60 hours a week at work, just finished coaching my daughters fall fast pitch team and I have recently been elected President of our teamsters union at work. Trying to take care of 3 kids is hard enough, now I take care of 130 whiny grown men. Enough of the sob story, let's talk about the hunt.

I made it out on a couple sits in the first couple weeks of the season and wasn't seeing much at all. I had 3 stands hung in some of my favorite early season spots, mostly field edges and over small food plots, and saw nothing to even brag about. So around the last week of october I start to move stands to my favorite places to hunt during the rut. I move one to a spot where I shot a 130" 11 point 3 years ago. The place is always hopping during the rut and I have a hard time hunting anywhere else in the mornings. I hunt this stand on October 22nd and get busted by 2 does from almost 80 yards away. Thats the only thing I saw that day. So immediately after putting the gear in the truck I walk right back to the stand and move it about 40 yards to the east. I dont hunt it for 10 days. Now it's November 3rd, I have the morning off from work and decide to slip out there. Very uneventful the first couple hours, In fact, I saw nothing. Then after doing a series of grunts I hear commotion coming from down over the hill. So I get the bow ready because whatever is moving this way is moving at a good clip. As soon as this buck crests the hill at 50 yards I immediately see mass and as he's walking my way I finally make my mind up that if he gives me the shot I'm taking it. He breaks through a multi-floral rose thicket at 30 yards and is heading toward my shooting lane. I draw back and the buck keeps coming at 15 yards this buck stops right behind a tree and looks right up at me. Here I am at full draw and thinking I will never get a shot. After looking right at me for 3 seconds he puts his head down and keeps coming. At 12 yards I let the CE Maxima with the g5 tekan sailing. I hear the thud, I see the buck kick and runs right for my stand. As he passes my tree I look straight down and can see the blood pumping out of him. I start pumping the fist, cause I know it's a good hit. I didn't realize until I turn around that the buck stopped 20 yards behind me and is standing there wheezing and gasping. He beds down, gets up after 2 minutes, falls back down, gets up again and takes 3 steps before falling down again. Now he's bedded down with his head up and I can actually hear his breaths. After about 20 minutes of not seeing him move I sneak out of the stand, stop and pick my arrow up on the way out (complete pass thru) and go get some coffee and give it a little time. Now it's 10 coclock so I wait til noon and go back in after him and he hadn't moved from the last place I saw him. He's not a giant by any means but I will shoot any P&Y class buck any day of the week. And whats cool is this buck expired within a 25 yard radius of where my 130" 11 pt. took his last breath at 3 years ago. Thought I would share the story with you guys, Hope you enjoyed it. And don't call me a creeper!

Attachments

• 2011buck.jpg
    2011buck.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 184

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
now see i cant call him creeper , he lives to close to me ....lol nice buck cynergy

Plus, wouldn't it be the pot calling the kettle black? Oops, sorry UK. He would be "Creeper" and you would be "Creepy". My mistake.:smiley_crocodile:

Thanks guys...I took him to the taxidermist last night to drop him off. He's goin on the wall right next to the one I took out of this spot 3 years ago. And hopefully here in the next couple weeks cotty can post a picture from my honey hole. I'm letting him enter this "little piece of heaven". I know there will be more bucks scampering through there in the rut so I figure I would rather see him take one out of there than some part-time deer hunter during gun season. Wish us luck!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Thanks for sharing that great story! Congratulations on a fine buck, well done.
And that's a pretty cool thing to do, letting Cotty work your honey hole. If he scores there we're gonna nickname him Cotty-The-Pooh

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for sharing that great story! Congratulations on a fine buck, well done.
And that's a pretty cool thing to do, letting Cotty work your honey hole. If he scores there we're gonna nickname him Cotty-The-Pooh

Yeah, he was good enough to offer up his spot. :smiley_clap:
I think he knows my frustration right now! Lol Hopefully he gets to sit with me and film.