Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sick!!!!!!!!!

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I'm setting here sick to my stomach, shot a nice 8 point this morning, what seemed like a great shot, quartering away, right behind the shoulder and lodged in the opposite shoulder, no pass thru, had about 6 inches of arrow sticking out with my noctural lit up, listened to him run down through the woods, sounded like a bull dozer!!! never heard him crash though, waited about an hour and climbed down, checked the spot where I shot him and found brown hair and started finding small drops of blood, tracked him down through the woods, not a good blood trail due to no pass thru, he ran downhill aproximately 200 yards into a hay field, across it and over a fence onto property that I am not allowed on! called the landowner I hunt on and he said he would call them but he kinda knew what the answer would be already, he called me back alittle later and said that they told him no that we could not go on their property to retrieve a deer! I know this deer will not make it and am dumbfounded that someone will not let someone retrieve a deer, Im not asking to hunt just go find a deer and get off their property, the landowner I hunt on said they have always been that way, it justs drives me crazy knowing that deer is not going to make it and i cant get him!!!!! I cant comprehend how they would rather let that deer lay and rot instead of letting someone retrieve it! sorry for the long post I'm done ranting now

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dark-thirty and a flash light Tad. I'm all about playing by the rules, but when ignorance is involved, I'll do what I have to do. Hell, I'll drive up and do it for you if need be!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That's a kick in the junk. How people could not give permission to recover a deer is beyond crazy. I don't know what the law is on something like that, but like some have said, check in with the GW. He might be able to help the situation. If not, the only other options are leave it go and hunt another day, or go into ninja mode well after dark thirty. Wish I was out your way this weekend. I'd do what I could to help out.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
The call has been put into the Game Warden, fuggin voice mail, the land owner said he has tried before and it didnt help, but it was with the old warden, maybe the new one can be more persuasive (sp)?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll make the obligatory: "The owners of TOO do not condone violating Ohio state and/or game laws..." comment just so it's out there...

That being said, Joe and I would be the first guys over the fence tonight. LOL. A man has to do what a man has to do sometimes, and if that means ignoring a couple rules and an ignorant neighbor to reap Gods bounty, so be it. You are doing the right thing by involving the GW and if he's worth his weight, he'll indirectly tell you what I am. "Proceed at your own risk, but you won't here a word out of me..."

Best case scenario, the GW becomes a hero today. Good luck Tad.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dark-thirty and a flash light Tad. I'm all about playing by the rules, but when ignorance is involved, I'll do what I have to do. Hell, I'll drive up and do it for you if need be!

Ditto. Sometimes doing what's right aint always about doing what's right.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If no call from the po po before tonight it will be ninja mode!!!!!!!!!!!

Not so fast man.. If the gw says no. Or doesn't call. Which he likely won't as he doesn't have time to help you track your deer or likely the give a damn. Then you're out of options.. If you check that buck he'll know dang well you trespassed to get it. A good GW wouldn't care. But most are ticket happy...

Should've not called a soul and hopped the fence. Get what you came for and left. No harm no foul.

I would go back out there now... Who knows. Maybe you were wrong. Maybe He turned right at the fence and didn't cross afterall.. Maybe he even circled back... ;) then all you have to make is a nevermind call to the warden..

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
The warden can't do anything but talk to the landowner for you and try to persuade them to let you track your deer. He can offer to go with you to make sure there isn't any funny business, but as long as the landowner says no, there is nothing more they can do. It stinks man, sorry. Hope the buck circles back around and crosses back on to the property you have permission on.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Hope the buck circles back around and crosses back on to the property you have permission on.

I've seen it happen like that a few times before. Sometimes a wounded animal won't cross a fence because of the effort involved in making that jump. When that happens they usually make a wide circle and bed down in cover. Hope that's the case!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The warden can't do anything but talk to the landowner for you and try to persuade them to let you track your deer. He can offer to go with you to make sure there isn't any funny business, but as long as the landowner says no, there is nothing more they can do. It stinks man, sorry. Hope the buck circles back around and crosses back on to the property you have permission on.

Been there done that. Fuggin ole ass hippie. Biggest deer of my life literally died on his porch.

epe

Lancaster
Ninja style with night vision. When I shot my big 11 he made a death run along the property line. I already told myself if he goes over it, I am getting him out ASAP. Dad would have bailed me out, he saw how big he was ;)