Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Windy deer hunts

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
They suck. Deer don't move. Anyone have a lot of success in wind? What can I do different to try to see deer when it's windy? Seems like if it's 15mph or more I might as well take a nap. Happens to me every year and I continue to sit it out and not see deer those days. Even worse if it's outta the east, but slow slow slow regardless. Can you tell I've not seen anything yet this morning?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never had any luck when it's windy either, Willy... so don't feel bad. If you want to increase your sightings, work on your still-hunting skills when it's windy. All the wind will really disguise any noises that you make while moving through the woods. I don't really have the patience for it, but I hope to some day.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've never had any luck when it's windy either, Willy... so don't feel bad. If you want to increase your sightings, work on your still-hunting skills when it's windy. All the wind will really disguise any noises that you make while moving through the woods. I don't really have the patience for it, but I hope to some day.

Yep...

I rarely see deer on windy days. I like to hunt in the bottoms if I do hunt when its windy, but I can't say as it has been a success/failure either way...

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
Thought about what Jesse said. Wind blowing 18+ tonight so I am sitting in a ditch next to a small and wind protected apple orchard. I got a good feelin.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320613868.150829.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320613868.150829.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 151

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A little late to motivate you today, but in case it is windy the rest of your stay in Ohio, I killed my buck last year on a windy day!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Was windy here and saw a buck walk through my father-in-laws back yard at a little before 4:pM today when I was dropping off some things. He was calm an carefull but just working his way west across the wind.
Don't let it eat at ya. It can work for ya TOO.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I never seem to find much success with windy conditions. If it is turning nasty during the day with winds increasing and potentially rain/snow, I try and setup with hopes of intercepting them heading for some thicker cover that helps get them out of the wind some. Again, not that I have found success with this, but I feel logically it seems like a good bet.