Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My testament to the Scent Smoker

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Like many others, I was skeptical of the Scent Smoker for the first few years that I was aware of it. Finally, last season I took the plunge and bought one... and it didn't take me long to fall in love with it. Since then, I've had a few deer get downwind of me that never paid much attention... All well and good, but none of those events put the Smoker to much of a test, in my opinion. Well,this afternoon, it passed one of the hardest tests I could have put it through.

I was walking to an inside corner of a corn field and it was kind of late... 4:45 p.m... later than I usually like to be getting set up. As I got to within 100 yds of the corner, I heard deer take off up in front of me and I could see a couple white flags through the branches. I immediately crouched where I was, and the deer paused for a minute. There were three of them, all does. One doe circled around behind me, upwind, but the other two went the opposite direction... directly downwind! The two that were downwind just paced back and forth, trying to think of a way to get past me to the other deer. As they did, the SSE wind pushed a steady stream of my scent right at them. Amazingly, they were only 40-50 yds away taking in nose-fulls of smoke, and not a single tail ever went up. Eventually the deer that was behind me walked off, but the two that were downwind just wouldn't leave! After what seemed like ten or fifteen minutes, I just said hell with it and stood up... I was running out of daylight and needed to get into a tree! Obviously once I stood up, the two deer took off through the woods.

Before tonight, my confidence in the Scent Smoker was at about 95%... but after this experience, it's at like 110%. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Scent Smoker kept those deer from thinking I was dangerous. These deer were already spooked from me walking up... They saw me walking and then when I crouched... They got directly downwind of me at a mere 40 yds, ON THE GROUND... And yet they still didn't become alarmed. This thing is amazing... plain and simple.

epe

Lancaster
Head a doe tonight 40 yards downwind of me tonight stick her nose up in the air, sniff and go back to eating..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's pretty cool when it finally clicks and that last bit of skepticism is gone ain't it.. :) That's why i tell people, buy one, put it to the test day 1. Do something you would NEVER try, and i bet it works..

In the past 2 weeks I've had dozens of deer directly down wind of me... 3 weekends ago a 130+ class 8 at 40 yards. (Tall8) .. Did the ole snif snif, went about his business. Tonight a 130 class 10pt at between 10 and 70 yards.. He stayed around for 20 minutes making a scrape, walking around smelling where the does had gone etc.. I saw him lay his horns back and take a whiff 3-4 times through all that.... He hung around then went up into the field.. Could have killed either one of them.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I had a fox in front of me mouseing for 5 minutes last Sunday.... Never had a clue I was there.... He was in the almost same spot I dropped my doe 3 days later @ 15 yards.... I've always had deer not bust me since using the Scent Smoker but this was a first for a fox.....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's pretty cool when it finally clicks and that last bit of skepticism is gone ain't it.. :) That's why i tell people, buy one, put it to the test day 1. Do something you would NEVER try, and i bet it works..

In the past 2 weeks I've had dozens of deer directly down wind of me... 3 weekends ago a 130+ class 8 at 40 yards. (Tall8) .. Did the ole snif snif, went about his business. Tonight a 130 class 10pt at between 10 and 70 yards.. He stayed around for 20 minutes making a scrape, walking around smelling where the does had gone etc.. I saw him lay his horns back and take a whiff 3-4 times through all that.... He hung around then went up into the field.. Could have killed either one of them.

You got that right! I didn't want to admit it, but the skepticism WAS still there. Not anymore, though...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You got that right! I didn't want to admit it, but the skepticism WAS still there. Not anymore, though...

I still struggle with it.. Even after time and time again being shown it works... When I get in a slump and i'm not seeing deer, we all look for something to blame... The though sometimes crosses my mind.. Well maybe it's because you smell like smoke and the deer are on to you... Then I'll see deer again and something will happen like a buck dead down wind.. And that though quickly leaves my mind.

saddlepants

central Ohio
even though I dont have mine Im sold on the smoke, I mean..that squirrel was inches..INCHES from me and then was all the way around me INCHES and stayed behind me totally downwind INCHES two different times the other day. It says allot that he did it once but then came back? I like the fact that with the smoke I can freshen up outer clothes I only wore a few hours and freshen up my hair and exposed body without showering again and sitting out in the cold with damp hair

mrex

*Supporting member*
Like many others, I was skeptical of the Scent Smoker for the first few years that I was aware of it. Finally, last season I took the plunge and bought one... and it didn't take me long to fall in love with it. Since then, I've had a few deer get downwind of me that never paid much attention... All well and good, but none of those events put the Smoker to much of a test, in my opinion. Well,this afternoon, it passed one of the hardest tests I could have put it through.

I was walking to an inside corner of a corn field and it was kind of late... 4:45 p.m... later than I usually like to be getting set up. As I got to within 100 yds of the corner, I heard deer take off up in front of me and I could see a couple white flags through the branches. I immediately crouched where I was, and the deer paused for a minute. There were three of them, all does. One doe circled around behind me, upwind, but the other two went the opposite direction... directly downwind! The two that were downwind just paced back and forth, trying to think of a way to get past me to the other deer. As they did, the SSE wind pushed a steady stream of my scent right at them. Amazingly, they were only 40-50 yds away taking in nose-fulls of smoke, and not a single tail ever went up. Eventually the deer that was behind me walked off, but the two that were downwind just wouldn't leave! After what seemed like ten or fifteen minutes, I just said hell with it and stood up... I was running out of daylight and needed to get into a tree! Obviously once I stood up, the two deer took off through the woods.

Before tonight, my confidence in the Scent Smoker was at about 95%... but after this experience, it's at like 110%. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Scent Smoker kept those deer from thinking I was dangerous. These deer were already spooked from me walking up... They saw me walking and then when I crouched... They got directly downwind of me at a mere 40 yds, ON THE GROUND... And yet they still didn't become alarmed. This thing is amazing... plain and simple.

Lol. I know what you mean. All the guys in my deer camp swore I was a fuckin curse last fall when I showed up with my smoker. They wouldn't even let me keep my clothes near theirs. I was a joke... Even though I had the MOST encounters with deer than any of them did that week. It's funny now, they see fuckin goofball Mike Rex using it in a magazine and now it's not so crazy any more. Motherfuckers...

...any fuckin goofball could have told you that.

epe

Lancaster
Sold dad on it today. He had a buck walk directly under his treestand this morning stop downwind of him about 10 yards away, sniff the air, then keep on walking...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
...any fuckin goofball could have told you that.

Now that is freaking hilarious! Don't know how you caught that Mike, but I am glad you did. I sure got a kick out of it. What the heck were you doing? Googling your name to see who was talking about you? lmao

Jim- You are busted dude!

Diablo54

Outside
rotflmao

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I understand your comment in context JB....
wait till you have kids - you can tell them something over and over and they'll disbelieve and ignore your best knowledge and advice...
but then their friends or a favorite teacher or some fucking Kim Kardashian or some other fucking goofball who has some little bit of fame or notoriety says the same thing you've been saying over and over and all of a sudden they act like they're just hearing it for the first time.:smiley_confused_vra:smiley_boos::tantrum::smiley_badmood:

I call it FGNS - Fucking Goofball Notoriety Syndrome