Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

scrape hunting question

sitting in my stand the other evening , i watch a nice buck come in and make scrapes about every 40 to 50 yards along the woodsline that borders a corn field . the scrape line is inside the woods about 30 yards from the field , now this scrape line follows the woods line from where the woods touch's the corn field all the way past my stand and down the hill behind me all in all this scrape line is about a mile long and it circles back to a huge thicket that he is bedding in , the inlaws watch him bed down every evening . in the middle of his scrape line is a monster thicket that the does like to bed in , its kinda like he is marking his space all the way around these does , but he scented me or smelled something he didnt like when he circled me the other evening , his rub line is almsot every other tree for the first 100 yards of this scrape line then it dissipates to only a few trees along his scrape line , now with him winding me do you guys think this scrape line is still huntable if i leave it alone for a few days then go back and hunt him on his evening scrape checks , he didnt see me cause he was behind a bunch os small pine trees , but im pretty sure he smelled me and thats why he turned direction and left , he walked off didnt run like a deer would if you bumped them

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
To be honest with you. I figure he will only check his scrapes at night now that he knows there was very fresh human scent in there. This time of year it doesn't take much of a fug up like that and those big ol bucks just dissaper into the darkness. I figure the only way your going to get a chance at that buck now is during the seaking/chasing stage of the rut if a hot doe is nearby and pulls him out from his hole.

I hope I'm wrong on this one. Good luck UK.