Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

EPE'S Hunting Log

epe

Lancaster
EPE = Eric. Figured I would just throw that one out there. :smiley_bril: Well tommorrow morning will be my first day hunting deer this season. I am heading down to washington county and will hunt with my dad thru tuesday. I will be hunting two different properties. The morning will be "the rut" spot. Is great during the seeking, sometimes chasing phase, dead for bucks other wise. My stand is setup in a funnel area. It is in the valley of two steep hills. To my left is a steep hill running up to the electric line right of way. to my right I have a creek bottom about 50 yards away, past that is another hill about 70 yards, which goes up to a large cow pasture. Straight in front of me, there is a Major deer trail. When the rut is going on, the bucks will come from 360 degrees. I have lost count of how many bucks I have taken from this spot. The afternoon will be spent at "the field" spot. My stand is setup on the edge of field, which has been planted anywhere from corn, to overgrown, to now silage. It is almost 8 feet tall right now.. :smiley_boos: It is so closely planted togther, that the deer are not going thru it, they are running the edges Hard. Tommorrow night I will be setup in my normal treestand. It is setup just inside of the woods, facing the field, with shots back into the woods. Behind my treestand to the left is a jungle. Farther back in is where some of the deer bed, so I have to be quiet going in. To my right is a woods flat, that falls down into a valley that the deer also come out of. We only have permission to hunt the woods on two sides of the field. If tommorrow night does not produce any deer sightings, I will go further back into the wood to my right with my climber satruday night.. I always play with my phone in the stands, so I will post updates over the next 4 days, probabably with pics..

epe

Lancaster
Sleep is not coming easy. It is getting cold here and the wind is dying down. Should make for a good morning sitting...

epe

Lancaster
Ran into a buck working a scrape in the dark on the 1/3 mile walk up the hill. Just got busted by two yearling does getting my hat out of my backpack in the treestand. Jot very good luck so far...

epe

Lancaster
From 9-945 I had a basket 5pt and a nice 120" 8pt 2.5 y.o. around me. He was working scrapes and trashing on some trees. If he survives until next year he will be nice! About 10:05 had a tall tined 6pt work thru on the other hillside. He ran into 3 does and scattered them. Sounded like a herd of cattle in the woods. Not much going on rut wise, but at least I am seeing some.

Last edited:

epe

Lancaster
In stand at location number 2. Wind is blowing from bedding area to me towards the field, which is great for here. Field shot is now a field edge shot at 12 yards. The path looks like a highway though.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1320525768949.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1320525768949.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 395

epe

Lancaster
Back in the rut spot. Had a deer snorting at me in the valley while climbing my tree in the dark. Coyotes are howling about 250 yards away. Hoping it is this one and he comes to see my ST.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1320579799690.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1320579799690.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 315

epe

Lancaster
Back in the field spot tonight. Someone just got done running a chainsaw about 300 yards away in the woods behind me.