Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Safety Tree Stand Rules, Tips, Reminders

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
JOE!!!! WTF did I do to get that camofire thingee on there? HELP!!! (then delete this stupidass post:smiley_depressive: )

saddlepants

central Ohio
Watch your harness straps when traveling by quad or gator. I climbed aboard with a fellow hunter and he took off (slow thank god) and my tether strap was hanging down. the wheel rolled over it and about ripped me off the gator and left a nasty bruise on my shoulder. He stopped in time with me yellin. I dont wanna sound stupid but it was dark and I usually have it all tucked in but I had to bring a tree strap with me on this occasion because it wasnt my stand and it fell loose when I didnt notice in the hustle to get out there so this extra long business was hangin behind my back. It coulda been a bad situation had he not stopped quick enough or took off faster. I usually keep the tree teather on my own trees with a Carabiner attachment thats rated for way over what I need for a fall.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
In regards to tree stands and straps: Loosen them at the end of the season if you are not taking the stand completely off the tree. Be sure to check your straps and resecure them in July or August.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
try to avoid using a climber in a smooth barck tree. especially when its below freezing, and the tree itself is is frozen. I have had a few butthole puckering moments when my stand slipped because it couldnt get a firm "grip" on the tree.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Climbers- Great point Cotty! Another climber safety tip would be to bring an extra ratchet strap with you. Once you are at the height you will be sitting the rest of the day it is not a bad idea to ratchet the bottom section to the tree until you are ready to head back down the tree. This will keep it from slipping on you when you least expect it.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Best climber tip I can give you is to take two cinch straps and attach one to the top and bottom section on each side of the climber. Set them to the same lenght when you climb in so if the base does slip from the top or come off your feet, it won't end up all cockeyed like it would be of you only had one strap on it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Watch your harness straps when traveling by quad or gator. I climbed aboard with a fellow hunter and he took off (slow thank god) and my tether strap was hanging down. the wheel rolled over it and about ripped me off the gator and left a nasty bruise on my shoulder. He stopped in time with me yellin. I dont wanna sound stupid but it was dark and I usually have it all tucked in but I had to bring a tree strap with me on this occasion because it wasnt my stand and it fell loose when I didnt notice in the hustle to get out there so this extra long business was hangin behind my back. It coulda been a bad situation had he not stopped quick enough or took off faster. I usually keep the tree teather on my own trees with a Carabiner attachment thats rated for way over what I need for a fall.

Done that more than once. Definitely a great tip...