Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Safety Useful Safety Sayings and Reminders for the Sportsman

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Please add what you've been taught and any stories or discussion that would be relevant to the topic. Even if it's second nature to you, or you consider it a "given", it might be good for others to be reminded about.

Learned these things in Boy Scouts that should be considered Golden Rules for weapons handling:
1) Treat every weapon as though it were loaded at all times.

2) Never point a loaded weapon at anything unless you intend to shoot it.

3) Always make sure that you know what's behind what you're shooting at.

I can't believe how many times these rules get ignored.

Last edited by a moderator:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Always tell someone where you are going to be.

When we lived in SW FL , I had a county map in my den. I would put a push pin at the area location I was going to be at so my wife knew where so send help if I did not return.

saddlepants

central Ohio
If you don't have Kids or don't gun hunt - Remember to wear your hunter Orange this weekend. Youth Gun weekend. Remind your friends who dont hunt as this time of year is not as widely publicized and I made the mistake of horseback riding on a public trail with No Orange in an area that was marked for no riding during gun season. I didnt have Kids so I didnt even think about what weekend it was. Had a dad and his boy walk up on us on the trail - we were halfway around the loop and still had to get back...mind you It was then on a terrifying ride!! They didnt mind as the deer out there dont spook from riders but Hell I was sure spooked by kids with guns ,lol!!

saddlepants

central Ohio
Never approach a down Deer that has its eyes closed. Hes not dead. My ex stood over one for five minutes writing out his tag and reach down to put it on a big buck. it opened its eyes, saw him and jumped up from flat on his back in a gully and ran. He was shot dead then but still, geez!! MAny different stories exist like this and severe injury or death can result. ALWAYS approach your harvest with caution, A loaded weapon, and the possibility it may still be alive. Antlers and sharp hooves are deadly at close range. Poking your deer first with a stick or your weapon is good but poke it again right near the eye, if there is any eye lid movement the deer is still alive.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/8860231-418/hunter-dies-after-scuffle-with-deer-he-shot.html

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Watch that knife.
Every so often I'll see someone that straps on a fixed blade knife on the front of their belt. ( if they tripped or fell from a elevated shooting area, it could cut the femoral artery inside the leg if they fell on it.)
I carry a folder in my pocket for quick excess but keep my fixed blade skinning knife in my day pack.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Throw an extra flashlight in the bottom of the pack.
You don't want to be in the dark with a lost or dead flashlight.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Throw an extra flashlight in the bottom of the pack.
You don't want to be in the dark with a lost or dead flashlight.

Dan I keep a couple of them with extra batteries as well...... One of them is of the type that I can clip too the bill of the hat so I can keep the hands free and you always show where you're looking at as well...... I keep spare batteries for everything I use..... never know when you'll need them..... I double up the knives as well.....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Nearly everything in my day pack has dual usage. TP is great for marking a blood trail TOO.
Many times while on a blood trail I will look back at the TP trail I have left to mark blood to get some in-site into the wounded deers mind as it goes through the woods.
I will wrap a little on a sapling or bush at the blood.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I might get a tin foiled reaction but.....pistol.

You never know when you may run into someone wanting to do you harm. You now can CCW while hunting.

Always carry some sort of communication.

One thing I do if I don't tell someone what stand I am going to be in (change of mind in that a.m. as an example) my family knows I leave the location on the dash in the truck...if I am out longer than expected and don't return messages.

Small first aid kit. Small roll of med tape, small med and large bandaids, small roll of gause, pain releaver, asprine, triple antibiotic cream, teezers, and some alcohol wipes. Thats a start anyway it will all fit in a zip lock sandwhich bag and only weighs a few oz. You never know when you may be injured or find some one else in the woods who has suffered an injury.

Lots of great tips. Here are some more.

• Keep your finger outside the trigger guard and off the trigger until ready to shoot.
  • Control your emotions when hunting or shooting.
  • Always let someone know where you are hunting and when you plan on returning.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
My stepsons buddy bough a new sluggun and brought it over to show me yesterday. I freaked him out when I jumped his shit for not opening the chamber before he handed it to me. It wasnt loaded, but if it was, who knows what would have happened while i was fumbling around with it trying to find the release to open the chamber myself.

saddlepants

central Ohio
when Traversing rough terrain in widely Bow hunted areas be careful about not sliding down steep embankments on your rear end. I did that allot while working one area in Coshocton county. When I got to the bottom I looked down next to me and there was an arrow on the slope.....broadhead facing uphill:smiley_blackeye:

saddlepants

central Ohio
Try to keep a cell phone attached to your person and not in your pack in a pocket that is secure but reachable should you fall in your treestand. NOT UNDER YOUR SAFETY STRAP. Your strap will be too tight if your hanging in it and need to call for help. If you at least have an old phone that will only dial 911 and on wet days in a ziplock.