Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Manual Meat Grinder

I have a manual meat grinder and am considering processing (grinding into burger) my own deer, this fall. I realize that a powered grinder will make this process easier, but the manual grinder is what I have, for now.
This is the size of grinder that I currently own:
www.sausage-stuffer.com/w61000-cast-iron-meat-grinder.htm

My questions:
* Is there a size to a manual meat grinder that I should use for grinding venison?
* Do I cut the meat into strips or cubes, for grinding?

I'd like to purchase an electric meat grinder, next year. What brand and/or size would you recommend, for processing (grinding into burger) just my own deer?

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have a manual meat grinder and am considering processing (grinding into burger) my own deer, this fall. I realize that a powered grinder will make this process easier, but the manual grinder is what I have, for now.
This is the size of grinder that I currently own:
www.sausage-stuffer.com/w61000-cast-iron-meat-grinder.htm

My questions:
* Is there a size to a manual meat grinder that I should use for grinding venison?
* Do I cut the meat into strips or cubes, for grinding?

I'd like to purchase an electric meat grinder, next year. What brand and/or size would you recommend, for processing (grinding into burger) just my own deer?

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

I would recommend a kitchenAid mixer with a grinding attachment. Not only do you get a tough grinder but it can also be used for other things. Very versatile, obviously mixing, but you can also get a sausage stuffer, pasta dough press and cutter, etc etc. My kitchenAid mixer has the same wattage as Cabelas small Commercial grade grinder

Jackalope,
I like your idea of a Kitchen Aid mixer, as it would have multi-uses. However, I looked at them on the Wally World website and nearly choked...$312 to $368. :smiley_depressive: Ouch! I may have to break down and get one from a Dunham Sporting Goods or MC Sports...when they're on sale. :smiley_blink:

Meanwhile, I'm gonna have to be more picky with my shots on deer...otherwise, I'll be using the hand grinder...Amish style.

Bowhunter57

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jackalope,
I like your idea of a Kitchen Aid mixer, as it would have multi-uses. However, I looked at them on the Wally World website and nearly choked...$312 to $368. :smiley_depressive: Ouch! I may have to break down and get one from a Dunham Sporting Goods or MC Sports...when they're on sale. :smiley_blink:

Meanwhile, I'm gonna have to be more picky with my shots on deer...otherwise, I'll be using the hand grinder...Amish style.

Bowhunter57

Yeah, they ain't ya grammas egg beater that's for sure. Here is the one I have.. Right now at sears it's 299... I think i got mine from Macys of all places.. And that's prolly about what I paid.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00888150000P

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I got this one for Christmas about 6 years ago. I bet there has been 10+ deer put through this between my buddies and I. Haven't even had to replace the blades yet. The feed hole is a little small, but I cut my meat into 2 inch strips or so and as long as I want and you can't shove enough meat in to bog it down. I am really happy with mine and won't break the bank.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267

Last edited:

saddlepants

central Ohio
Jackalope,

Bowhunter57

Yeah but think about it...you buy it for yourself and the wife falls in love for once with one of your expenses for the hunting season!!

Matt

Norton, OH
I've burned through two of the cheap grinders. All plastic gears, they are all the same. Gander has one on sale on Black Friday, 3/4 h.p. that is normally $399, going for $299 and from what my one friend tells me, it's well worth it.