Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting advice

tit1eist2

NW ohio
This weekend I'm going to the cabin I've hunted for about 4 years in coshocton county. Getting down weekends here and there doesn't help You learn deer movement to well. But I I've got an idea where they skirt us. On each side of the property there is a big bowl That nobody ever hunts. How do You guys hunt something like this? There are thickets near by both. The other setup I'm thinking is a ridge that has a creek on one side that goes almost to a vertical hill that I've actailly seen them climb. And a beaver pong separating it from another ridge. I've got speculations Where they may run just hoping to hear some opinions from some of You that have hunted the hills You're whole lives. Thanks

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I would reccommend posting a map or 2 of the property to let guys visually see it. Block out street names and what not but I think you will get better feedback if people can see it. Some guys here are pretty good with topos and satelite images when it comes to identifying potential setups.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you post a map, I'll show you where I would hang. I hunt two very distinct bowls and can point out what I've seen when hunting them...

tit1eist2

NW ohio
cabin.jpgTOPO.jpg
This isn't exact but it's close I believe. The white squares about where stands and blinds are right meow. Really I'm more interested in the West side because it doesn't get hunted pretty much at all. Thanks for any help.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I would agree. Witha a topo map and satellite image we can probably get you pointed in a very solid direction. Just going off what you said here is what I think. Get on the downwind side of those thick areas. If you can find a pinch point on the downwind side close to the transition of cover go for it. The next couple weeks is all about hunting pinch points, any area that will funnel deer into a smaller location, Don't hunt the sign so much, hunt the does.. Stay off the tops of the ridges and hunt the side. If there is a thick area down in the holler that butts right up against the hill, In the AM hunt the uphill side of that thick area. The thermals carry deer scent up the hill and bucks will cruise the sides.. If the thick area is on top of the hill. Hunt the side of the hill on the down wind side. Watch for benches on the hill, logging roads etc. as the bucks will run them vs the slope.