Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Verticle or Horizontal

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I didnt wanna highjack Saddlepants' thread so im gonna start a new one. I'm planning on getting a new sight next year, and i know this is way in advance but I'm gonna start searching now. I was really thinking about getting sights with verticle pins, it seems like with the horizontal pins you cover up half of your target your aiming at and it's harder to keep level. You guys prefere verticle or horizontal pins? I'd like to go with a 3 pin sight, price really isnt a factor right now. Any recomendations or suggestions?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i shoot spot hogg because of their construction and toughness. i don't care about covering up half my target as i am only shooting at a spot on it anyway.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I really like my Accept Armortech sight. The micro adjustments for both windage and elevation is very nice. They also have the same for the pins, but you need an Allen wrench to break the pin loose before adjusting it.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I have the micro adjust on my copper john right now, and it makes adjusting so easy, i'll definitly like to have the micro on my new sight.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i have the hogg hunter with wrap. expensive...yep ...micro adjustment in about every department...yep...tough as hell...yep.you can even adjust the pins in and out...neat feature. they do use two set screws to adjust the pins. i replaced a lot of the bolts with stainless steel and many of the adjustments are worm gear driven which is really nice..no way to mess it up.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll either have what Milo or Greg have when I build my new rig next year. I have a Viper microTUNE right now which is a bit of a misnomer since it is not what I would consider a true microtune style sight. I have never shot anything with vertical pins as I've not seen a reason to switch. I do like the idea of a vertical stack of pins, but I don't have any issues with the horizontal styles so why switch?!?

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I know i know, dont fix it if it aint broken. But i'd look to switch or at least try verticle pins out to see if i like them. Milo i will definitly take deep consideration into those spot hogg sights, maybe santy clause will help me out lol.

saddlepants

central Ohio
The only thing that I didnt like with vertical pins was the ones with three or more pins. Seems like there was TOO much in my view as they are stacked like a tower in your way. With three pins horizontal you at least have spaces between the pins...but then again I only like single pin anyway. The one guys advise about wanting to see your arrow flight was a consideration though and he may be right. Trying hard to teach myself to follow through more and Vertical pins might make that harder...food for thought.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I am considering what I want also Moundy. Sword, Amortech, Spott, Copperjohn, hha, etc. I just can't see spending $200+ on a non magnified sight. Maybe I will change my mind? I will probably buy used off of AT if I go big dog.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've got an Axcel Armortech HD on my bow as well and I really like it. The micro-adjust is amazing and the site is really well-made... very rigid and strong. That being said, the Spott Hogg sites are tried-and-true as well. I'd say the the spott hoggs and armortechs are pretty comparable. When it comes to pin orientation, I've only ever shot with horizontal pins, and I've never had any reason to want to switch. Like milo said, you're shooting at a SPOT on the animal, so the rest that gets "covered" up shouldn't matter. You shouldn't be looking at anything else when you're drawn back on an animal anyway. Either type of pin orientation is going to cover up at least some part of the animal, so it's a moot point IMO.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
You make some good points JB, i know that im aiming at a certain spot, i just like to know that in low light i can see objects around the spot im aiming at to better position my shot. Also 9 times outta time when my group is off it's left or right, not up and down. and it seems like the verticle pins would help keep that group more towards the middle. I think if i do go verticle, it's something i'll have to get used to. I was checking out Cabela's and found this deal, it seemed fairly cheap and the reviews were good on it.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Archery/Sights/Bow-Sights%7C/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/104571180/i/103860180/Trophy-Ridge-Fire-Wire-V38482-Bow-Sight/745569.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunting-archery-sights-bow-sights%2F_%2FN-1100041%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103860180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104791680%253Bcat104571180&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat104571180%3Bcat103860180

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Joe has one with like 15 pins on it. Hanging from the top and bottom. lol Sorry Joe but that thing is FUGLY.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Joe has one with like 15 pins on it. Hanging from the top and bottom. lol Sorry Joe but that thing is FUGLY.

It's a Trophy Ridge Crazy 8 vertical 8 pin sight. Worm gear micro tune elevation, windage and pin adjustments.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
What do you mean by windage? Also, how would you adjust those pins? I kinda like that design though honestly, just not a big fan of the 8 pins lol, to each his own though.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What do you mean by windage? Also, how would you adjust those pins? I kinda like that design though honestly, just not a big fan of the 8 pins lol, to each his own though.

Windage is left right adjustment.. Each pin can be precision adjusted with a hex wrench without having to loosen and tighten any set screws. If you look at the top of the site housing there are 4 holes there between the bigger screws. There are 4 more on the bottom.. I'm not sold on the sight personally. The oval housing is a little difficult to center in the peep. Like with any sight though, after some practice it became 2nd nature. Will I ever need the other 4 pins.. Probably not.. But if a booner is standing 65 yards out in a field, I've got a pin for that... 20, 30, 40, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70.. Although admittedly, I've only dialed it in it out to 60 so far.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Windage is left right adjustment.. Each pin can be precision adjusted with a hex wrench without having to loosen and tighten any set screws. If you look at the top of the site housing there are 4 holes there between the bigger screws. There are 4 more on the bottom.. I'm not sold on the sight personally. The oval housing is a little difficult to center in the peep. Like with any sight though, after some practice it became 2nd nature. Will I ever need the other 4 pins.. Probably not.. But if a booner is standing 65 yards out in a field, I've got a pin for that... 20, 30, 40, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70.. Although admittedly, I've only dialed it in it out to 60 so far.

That's TOO many dang pins. I'd be scratching my head trying to remember which is which. I keep it simple, three pins, 20,30,40, and I know I can hold the 40 on the deer's back for a 50 yard shot.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's TOO many dang pins. I'd be scratching my head trying to remember which is which. I keep it simple, three pins, 20,30,40, and I know I can hold the 40 on the deer's back for a 50 yard shot.

Not really... The top set is only 4 pins. Just ignore the bottom set.. Same as shooting a 4 pin sight at 20, 30, 40, 50. Now if he's at 62.5 I might have to think for a sec. lmao