Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyotes!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's strange.... I've ran at least one camera on this property, virtually non-stop, since December of 2009, and I never got a coyote on film a single time. Now all of a sudden, I'm getting them like crazy up near the edge of this hay field. I've never really ran the cams much near this field, so that could at least partially explain it... but even so, I don't really like it. If I had it my way, I'd be setting snares and footholds all over the place... Only problem is, the neighbors' dogs like to roam the property at all hours of the day/night so I'd spend more time releasing dogs than catching 'yotes. Normally I wouldn't give a shit about neighbors' dogs, but these neighbors are very nice people and I don't own the land myself.

[video=youtube;4-jbL5P1wf4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-jbL5P1wf4[/video]

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I feel your pain Jim. Been a rough year for me in regards to seeing an increase in yotes and a decrease in deer sightings.

i need to get them thinned out by the paylake , during the summer its not uncommon to hear 5 or 6 different packs sounding off , people tend to not night fish as much when they hear coyotes sounding of all around ya

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Been there man. I plan on putting a good hurtin on them this year. Going to pull out the rifle and e-caller as well as a snare or 2.

Good luck buddy.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I may be wrong here, but is that the same farm the bobcat was on? If you get a free night sometime, you should slip in there and just set. If you can catch a bobcat and a coyote fighting , it is one of the more blood curdling sounds you will ever hear.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I may be wrong here, but is that the same farm the bobcat was on? If you get a free night sometime, you should slip in there and just set. If you can catch a bobcat and a coyote fighting , it is one of the more blood curdling sounds you will ever hear.

Yep, same property. That could be awesome to experience something like that. I definitely plan on sitting up there after deer season is over.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
One on one, who wins that battle? I see the cat doing some damage with those claws...

When ever you have both, the coyote comes out on top most of the time. As adults they are a somewhat a even match. The damage comes when the cats start having kittens.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
They moved back in to a den they used to use a few years ago at our farm. I've heard that yotes won't use a den, but I hear them in the same spot every night and whether they are actually in that den (and it is a stereotypical den) or not, they couldn't be a in worse place for disturbing deer movement...

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Im having a huge problem with them myself, I believe its bc its a city limit property and you cant use firearms.... well now Im not getting many buck pics bc of how many there are! I think they are starting to run the deer a little more. I pulled my card and had 4 in one pic all in daylight!

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I can tell you a few ways I have learned over the years to get coyotes to move out of a den . The best way I have found to move them out of a den is the smell of diesel fuel. A coyote hates the smell and it hard for them to get it off of themselfs. I place 5 or 6 cotton balls in a pill bottle and drill some holes in the lid . Get the cotton balls wet, but not to much that the diesel fuel can run out, all you are wanting is the smell. I have also tied rags over or around the holes some they have to rub on it to go in or out of the den. Some thing else I have found that works is Dead Coyotes. I know this sound off the wall but that coyote has 3 things on his mind all the time. Eat, Breed and survival. If dead one start popping up , he knows something is out of order and will pack up and move on. I have picked up road kill coyotes just to place them in places that have a lot of dens. Picking up road kill is illegal in ohio, so do this one as a last resort.lol I am Nuisance trapper, and I dont know how or if the smell of the diesel fuel would affect your deer hunting, I know deer smell diesel fuel all the time but not sure about where you hunt.