Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bobcat on Spypoint video!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I couldn't believe my eyes when this came up on my computer screen this weekend...

[video=youtube;G7HN2JYFUuY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7HN2JYFUuY[/video]

epe

Lancaster
What are these bobcat you speak of?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1320183591843.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1320183591843.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 220
  • uploadfromtaptalk1320183610721.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1320183610721.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 213

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I don't know man. Looks small to me, but I'm not a bobcat expert. Could it be a American Bobtail Cat?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't know man. Looks small to me, but I'm not a bobcat expert. Could it be a American Bobtail Cat?

It is a small one. But the body structure is textbook bobcat. Along with the head, ears and bobbed tail. I've seen many of them growing up in Ms. They're pretty common down there.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I thought the same thing at first, dude. The body structure is definitely similar to a bobcat, like Joe said, but the way it moves is unmistakeable too... House cats just don't have a walk like that... at least none that I've seen. I sent an email to the county WO to let him know about it, asking who I should contact to report it. I'm sure a ODOW biologist will be able to verify or refute it based on the video.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got a call from Ohio Division of Wildlife today. I directed the guy to the youtube video and he confirmed that it was indeed a bobcat. He said he spoke to the biologists in Columbus and they were interested in seeing the video also. Although bobcats aren't exactly the rarest of animals in Ohio, he said Carroll County was definitely on the "fringe" of their population range and this is a rare occurrence.. He was a really nice guy and was appreciative of me reporting the siting. Considering I just emailed the county WO last night, I was really surprised how fast the DOW contacted me.