Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opinions...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Age and score. I'm rethinking my initial age figure and I keep coming up with 140.5" gross. I know the net will be much worse, but I'm not TOO concerned with that...

Here he is last year...

This year...

I know I'd rather shoot Boss than Captain Jack when talking about 3 year old 8's. I thought for over a year that Boss was 3 last year based on body size, but I'm no so sure I believe that any more. With Moe all but MIA, I have to make a determination as to what I should do with my season going in to my vacation. When Boss moved in 10 days ago, Moe disappeared. It's a long shot, but I have a gut feeling Boss ran Moe off based on what I have seen from the pics over the past 10 days. If that is the case and Moe can survive to see 5, then I want Boss dead this year to prevent this from happening again next year. I'll be checking cams again on Saturday and if Moe is still MIA, I have a feeling Boss will be the primary goal next week. Just interested to see what the opinions are on his numbers...

twireman

Kingston, OH
I think it would be very hard to pass Boss if he's standing broadside at 20 yards. With that said you are the only one who knows what deer you want. There is a ton of season left yet. I would wait till next cam check to see if Moe reappears. You may be pleasantly surprised. Just try and have fun with it and you'll have a good buck on the ground. Good luck man!!

Also I don't think he'll hit 140". he'll be in the 130's.

Last edited:

epe

Lancaster
My guess last year would have been 2.5 , which would make him 3.5 but in the pic at 141 am, is it the way he is standing or does he have a pretty good hump in his back? If so I might change to four and half.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Im thinking 135-138... Hes a dandy 8pt, I would say hes 4.5. Looks like a soild 3.5 yr old last year with the race horse body and got a belly this year.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Dude that deer is a stud.. He is no Moe but neither are the rest of the deer on that place. It sounds to me like you should sit back and take a deep breath and collect yourself cause over the next two weeks it will keep getting better and better. Believe me you will know if passes by your shooting lane wheather or not to plunk him. Quit beating yourself up and listen to what these guys are telling you. We definitely know that is just a matter of days before you put your tag on another great buck. Good luck.....

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
He looks very similar to the buck I passed on Sunday morning.......except his brow tines are a little better than the one I saw.....

I say Moe or bust.....aim for the sky buddy! Moe is already a good buck and this deer could be a real dandy in another year.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He looks very similar to the buck I passed on Sunday morning.......except his brow tines are a little better than the one I saw.....

I say Moe or bust.....aim for the sky buddy! Moe is already a good buck and this deer could be a real dandy in another year.

I am with Gern. If I had the time and intel on Moe that you do, there would be no question. You were a little dissatisfied last year. You have eaten tag soup in the past. I would not "settle" for any deer less than Moe unless you are 100% sure Moe is not available. Don't get me wrong, if a deer comparable to Moe comes under the stand, drop the axe. I guess it comes down to "If you have to think about it and talk yourself into it, then it probably isn't the deer you want."

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
The more I think about it I would like to see you with your hands wrapped around Moes horns. Hang in their buddy it's just getting started

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jesse, don't compromise on this.... You set a goal and go for it... I'd rather have you eat tag soup then settle for a second best buck..... Now me on the other hand I have no prospects so the first decent buck is going down hahaha..... And my standards ain't that friggin high rotflmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm starting to wonder if my standards are unrealistic given a handful of variables with my abilities taking center stage. I'm tired of being able to talk the talk. My inability to walk the walk is weighing heavily on me and it is paving the way for the doubt and compromise to settle in. This is my 11th bow season total. The first 6 were largely a wash considering I was more interested in other things and didn't really settle in to the diehard I am now until the 2006 season, the first year we had the farm. So this is the 5th season of dedicated bowhunting and its time to make something happen. I spent 2007 and 2008 hunting Deuce, letting bucks go I should have shot, including a 140" 10 at 8 steps. I had a dismal 2009 thanks in part to a piss poor rut and standing corn until after gun season. Last season, I blew a shot at my target buck on opening night and the 4th night, then made a horrible judgement call in shooting a good 2.5 with loads of potential. Going in to this season, I knew what I wanted. But I can't help but wonder if I'm setting goals that are realistic. If you constantly set goals that are unattainable, then you are constantly setting yourself up to be a failure. Those words really ring in my head...

but here is the thing jesse , i dont know any one else that puts in the time and dedication you do to kill big bucks or even your target bucks , i love reading your posts through out the year its what keeps my head up knowing one day i will get a shot at something decent , i have learned alot from your posts that i will be putting into affect in the up coming years ,the joys of deer hunting is being outthere and enjoying what we do , dont let your mind play games on you and make you think your goals arent realistic , they are as realistic as we want them to be

Huckleberry Finn

Jesse, I've typed out a response to that post three times now. I obviously don't know shit about killing big deer and I'm not going to pretend that I do. Killing Boss Hawg would be a hell of a feat. Killing Moe and accomplishing last year's goal and this year's all in one would be a dream, and one that I'm sure you've played out in your head many times over the last year. Shooting a cruising monster would be amazing too. I just hope that whatever deer you put your buck tag on, it's fulfilling and rewarding for you.

As far as the attainability of your goals, there's nothing more you could have done to this point. You changed your strategy, done all your homework, have dotted all your i's and crossed your t's, and have over thousands of pictures of this deer. If it comes down to lady luck, and if we could will it for you, he'd be dead already. Anyone that says that you talk the talk but can't walk the walk is full of shit, you're not just a blowing smoke (except out of your smoker!). If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't focus on the difference between killing Hawg and killing Moe, or passing up a shot and never getting a chance at Moe. Just enjoy it. I fully believe that you'll get a crack at him.