Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

need a little advice

ok im in a little pickle , i hunt close to a 70 acre corn field , my button buck came from the edge of the corn field and my doe came from between the bedding area and the corn field. been seeing lots of rubs and scrapes but not seeing any bucks in shooting time , well today i walked alot of the corn field and there is buck sign all over the edges , but i can see a good bit of the field from my stand and these buggers arent coming out of the corn during the day , but the does are going to and frombeddign area and the corn field , these trails are so beat down they look like cattle paths , if you sit in my one stand after dark you can hear deer all over in the corn field it sounds like are having a party in there and you can see them running through thier yard at night , but cant get em out of the field during the day , what tactics would you guys suggest for getting them out ofthe corn or should i just wait till the corn comes off and they will be spending more time in the woods

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
ok im in a little pickle , i hunt close to a 70 acre corn field , my button buck came from the edge of the corn field and my doe came from between the bedding area and the corn field. been seeing lots of rubs and scrapes but not seeing any bucks in shooting time , well today i walked alot of the corn field and there is buck sign all over the edges , but i can see a good bit of the field from my stand and these buggers arent coming out of the corn during the day , but the does are going to and frombeddign area and the corn field , these trails are so beat down they look like cattle paths , if you sit in my one stand after dark you can hear deer all over in the corn field it sounds like are having a party in there and you can see them running through thier yard at night , but cant get em out of the field during the day , what tactics would you guys suggest for getting them out ofthe corn or should i just wait till the corn comes off and they will be spending more time in the woods

Find where the does are coming and going from the corn and the bucks will soon follow. Like within a week or two.

epe

Lancaster
Like Joe said, get on the does. I have one rut spot, that is no good at all until the rut. Goes from couple does a day sighting to 5-6 bucks a day...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Throw rocks into the corn and flush the deer out. Just sayin'

:smiley_coolpeace:

Find the does, the bucks will be along shortly...

saddlepants

central Ohio
I have no does where Im at on a corn field...its my apples that are pullin all three bucks out of the corn or the one last night was at rattling antlers. They like the sweet change from the corn....dessert?

uglykat26,
On a real windy day, you could hunt the corn field by crossing the rows until you find the deer you want to shoot. It would have to be a 25+ sustained wind with higher gusts or I wouldn't even consider it. Even so, you run the risk of educating the deer to hunting pressure. Waiting until the rut hits and moves them out, might be a better option.

I know it's too wet for the corn to come off and it looks like it's going to be after turkey day before they will be able to run any corn, in this area. :smiley_depressive: I know it's definately hurting the hunting.

Bowhunter57

the does pass my stand constantly , but its usually very late evening or after dark , they go right past my stand and follow the fence row right to the corn , i only went in the corn maybe 10 to 12 rows , but once i got in the corn a few rows , i was seeing huge tracks that had to be from bucks , they were way to big to be doe tracks , they have beat down paths threw this corn to the point that it looks like some one drove through the corn , my inlaws see bucks chasing does in the field beside my stand every year but the corn is usually off by now , hopefully the friskier they get the more stupid they get and will travel a little farther from the corn