Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

"the standoff"

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
So, with an east - southeast wind today I decided to hunt an area redcloud and I refer to as "the north block". What it is is a rectangular area of hardwood that extends north from a larger area of woods. right at the moment it is surrounded by corn on 2 sides, the east side has been cut.

We have seen a nice buck bedded on the northeast corner and trail cams have shown that he leaves early and heads west inside the treeline to the northwest corner. I figured setting up on that corner with the wind in my face would put me in a good position if he decided to get on his feet early due to the cool temps.

On the way in I noticed a line of fresh rubs working up the west side of the block, so I set up with that line in front of me, facing southeast, with the wind in my face. this put the northwest corner of the woods directly behind me at about fourty yards, the north edge of the woods behind and to the left at about 30 yards and the west edge behind and to the right at 25 yards. perfect set up.

At about 5:30 I noticed movement about 150 yards directly in front of me. this area is full of maple saplings a lot of which still have leaves. After watching for a minute I saw 2 sets of deer legs working their way towards me. Once they reached a point that there was some leaf cover between myself and the deer, I stood, and took my bow off the hanger.... still coming. Then, all of the sudden, they just turned and bounded away. They didnt see me pick up the bow because they continued to me after that. They were directly upwind of me, so they didnt smell me. and I hadnt moved again after standing up, WTF?? Dont know what spooked em but they were gone.... So I thought.

About 10 minutes later I saw them cutting across at about 60 yards in front of me from left to right. Headed towards the west woodline. I picked up the bow again and stood up Thinking they might turn towards me when they got to the edge. Just about that time I heard noise directly behind me, I slowly turned to my right and looked behind my tree to see the corn moving, about 60 yards out headed my way. The way the corn was getting thrashed I knew it had to be a buck, and sure enough it was. A nice 10 point stepped out of the corn about 40 yards right behind me.

that was just about the time the other two deer that were coming from the south came into view...

OH NO, NOT YOU!!! It was that damned doe again....

This doe and her yearling have busted redcloud and I both on several occasions, and here she comes.

So here I am, standing, bow in hand, my right side leaning against the tree, wind at my back. There is a good buck standing at the very corner of the woods to my right at about 2 oclock, and 2 does working towards me to the left at about 10 oclock. The does got to about 20 yards from me, I could have shot either one of them easily. In the back of my mind I was thinking, "Shoot the doe, shes busted you before, shes gonna do it again." but the $24 tag in my pocket said "You've already used your antlerless tag, That buck is gonna come in."

I refused to look at the does, I kept my attention on the buck. If I dont move and dont look at her she wont notice me. And the buck will get curious about the doe and come in to investigate her. Just about that time ....STOMP!...SNORT!...STOMP!...

CHIT!...

I still wouldnt look at her or move. And after a few minutes she decided to move on, they walked away to the east. So now for the buck.

He stood like a statue in that corner for at least 30 minutes. He would look to his right and I thought, "cool, go that way and I get a 25 yard shot", then he would look left and I would think "go that way and I get a thirty yard shot" then he would act like he was going to continue straight in and pass my tree at about 15 yards. But because of the fuss that FUGGIN doe made, he decided to turn around and head back into the corn no hurry, just wandered away like the does did.

Guess who just made the top of my hit list?

If that doe comes in again, I dont care if the next state record is standing there, she dies.

Was still a great night to be in the woods. Dont think I will get a chance to get out tomorrow but maybe sunday.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dante- Thanks for the smile on my face this morning. I can't blame you. SHe would be on my list as well.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Sounds like we all have a certain doe that needs to die. Dangit Dante...trudge up to the house and print off a nuther friggin $15 doe tag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....then go find her ,lol

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Heading out this evening to bust that doe. I think this is the fawn of the doe I shot 2 years ago so she has learned to look up. Plus add in the fact the tree rat hunter is in there ever week and she has probably busted him more then once the last 2 years. She is a smart one for sure and needs to die since she is teaching her little one the same tactics. I swear some does are harder to hunt then big ol bucks. They have fawns and are more cautious for a far greater portion of the year then bucks are. They seem to tune into their surroundings so much better.

Hope she walks by me this evening.

This was her way back in begining of summer running from the newly placed salt block. She is just one skiddish doe