Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

An Educated Doe

In the middle of the woods that I've been bowhunting, I have a few apples spread around a wide trail and it has been a spot of success for a couple of years.

Last week I had a doe sneek in on me and as I turned around to the sound of a snapping twig, there she was staring up at me. I froze, she froze and then she bolted off. She didn't snort, foot stomp or anything...just bolted off and I've not seen her since. :smiley_depressive:

Well, last night I was in the same woods, but a different side and I spread a few apples around. This time, I seen her first. I had my bow in hand, standing still and hiding half of my self behind the tree that I was in and I waited/watched as she approached.

As soon as she smelled the apples, she started looking up in the trees...all of the trees. At the point of when she spotted me and/or my treestand, she started backing up, turned and bolted out of there. :smiley_chinrub: The wind was totally in my favor and I never moved a muscle, from the time of her approach.

I've never seen this type of "educated" behavior before this year. I guess I won't be putting any more apples out. :smiley_arrogant:

Bowhunter57

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
She needs to go in your freezer. Any time an old doe busts me, I kill her the first chance I get. They can be real pains in the rear!!!

saddlepants

central Ohio
Put out the apples and sit somewhere else on the ground or in a blind. Im with you on busting this Doe Im thinkin I have the same girl, lol. We have to change our tactics to get them.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Could be worse. I educated one this morning. Never did find my arrow, but I know it was a clean miss at 40yds. I heard the arrow hit the weeds and her reaction was nothing at all like that of a hit deer. I am so fuming mad at myself right now!

Good luck 57! Try peanut butter next time. lol

Jesse said:
She needs to go in your freezer. Any time an old doe busts me, I kill her the first chance I get.
Jesse,
You can count on her becoming freezer fodder...soon. I wasn't going to let her pass anyway. Just the same, I took note of the direction she'd came in to my location and this evening I'll be backing up in that direction by at least 80 yards.

No more free snacks, no more Mr. Nice Guy...the gloves are off and this ole girl's going down. :smiley_blackeye:

Bowhunter57

You handled the apples so it's quite possible she smelled that as well as the odd encounter of finding them where she wouldn't expect them. Would say she possibly saw a few friends get taken off of an apple pile as well over the years.